*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk6 Serpentine Belt - Squealing, Adjust Tensioner?

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Mk6 Serpentine Belt - Squealing, Adjust Tensioner?

Postby firewalker » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:02 pm

After the same ordeal of trying to cure a very loud pulley or belt squeal not so long ago (2 years, 8k miles ago) my problem has returned.
Last time a new tensioner pulley and belt seemed to cure terrible squealing, after renewing several other pullys first, it's back with a vengeance!
Logic is it can't possible be the pullys any more, so try the belt.
Today I generously sprayed some belt grip onto the belt and pulleys, which immediately made it worse!
The noise is unbearable in the cab and moreso outside! It can be heard in the next street, drowns out any engine noise!
I was under the impression the idler adjusted itself but I'm now wondering is there a manual adjustment needed - is the idler/tensioner requiring an adjustment?

Mk6 T350 2.4 Diesel 2002
Last edited by firewalker on Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
firewalker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Mk6 Serpentine Belt - Squealing, Adjust Tensioner?

Postby dumper » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:26 pm

Did you use genuine or pattern part mine whent at 100.000 k fitted gen ford was still ok at 150.000 when I sold it every time I use pattern parts it seems to bite me in the backside I now only use gen ford parts fit once and forget
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby firewalker » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:36 pm

dumper wrote:Did you use genuine or pattern part mine whent at 100.000 k fitted gen ford was still ok at 150.000 when I sold it every time I use pattern parts it seems to bite me in the backside I now only use gen ford parts fit once and forget

Can't say had it done at a garage.
firewalker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby jonb1 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:51 pm

does it squeal when just idling or just when under load? if at idle it is usually the top guide & or tensioner bearing, i fitted a lot of these 8 to 10 years ago i never bought cheap parts but some would last 50k others would fail after 2/3k, if you take belt off & spine guide & tensioner pulleys by hand you can hear if the bearing is rough also grab hold of pulley you often could feel play as well, if they get real loud they are normally close to collapse & will throw aux belt off, while you have aux belt off you can spin water pump alternator etc to check for noise /play
hope that helps
jonb1
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Mad Husky » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:19 pm

I had the same problem couple of weeks ago it showed me what was wrong when the belt shreaded and the tensioner collapsed, I believe the main culprit was the alternator had started to seize causing undue stress on the tensioner worth checking all other items connected i didn't enjoy the repair bill and i did the work.
Mad Husky
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby firewalker » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:09 pm

jonb1 wrote:does it squeal when just idling or just when under load? if at idle it is usually the top guide & or tensioner bearing, i fitted a lot of these 8 to 10 years ago i never bought cheap parts but some would last 50k others would fail after 2/3k, if you take belt off & spine guide & tensioner pulleys by hand you can hear if the bearing is rough also grab hold of pulley you often could feel play as well, if they get real loud they are normally close to collapse & will throw aux belt off, while you have aux belt off you can spin water pump alternator etc to check for noise /play
hope that helps

Sometimes it's ok for a minute or two before it creeps in then it is there to stay, worse under load - as in more frequent and louder.
Just tried again, after applying the belt spray and its constant from fire up at the moment.
The water pump pulley was replaced a couple of years ago.
The odd thing is it was in the garage I use this week and they haven't experienced it, but then again driving it in and out probably didn't give it chance to get out of second gear.
If idlers have been known to go after such low use, possibly I've been unlucky there.
firewalker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby firewalker » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:11 pm

Mad Husky wrote:I had the same problem couple of weeks ago it showed me what was wrong when the belt shreaded and the tensioner collapsed, I believe the main culprit was the alternator had started to seize causing undue stress on the tensioner worth checking all other items connected i didn't enjoy the repair bill and i did the work.

How long was it going on for prior to that?
firewalker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Mad Husky » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:11 am

firewalker wrote:
Mad Husky wrote:I had the same problem couple of weeks ago it showed me what was wrong when the belt shreaded and the tensioner collapsed, I believe the main culprit was the alternator had started to seize causing undue stress on the tensioner worth checking all other items connected i didn't enjoy the repair bill and i did the work.

Off and on for about 7 months but not constant sometimes it was quiet other times it was bad and embarassing when going through town, I couldn't see anything wrong with the belt or tensioners untill the tensioner collapsed taking the belt only when it was off could i see the real culprit my slternator which by the way was still working and charging the battery. Spinning it by hand it wouldn't turn so put the squeal down to it sticking and dragging the belt across the pulley.
Mad Husky
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby firewalker » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:44 am

Mad Husky wrote:
firewalker wrote:

Off and on for about 7 months but not constant sometimes it was quiet other times it was bad and embarassing when going through town, I couldn't see anything wrong with the belt or tensioners untill the tensioner collapsed taking the belt only when it was off could i see the real culprit my slternator which by the way was still working and charging the battery. Spinning it by hand it wouldn't turn so put the squeal down to it sticking and dragging the belt across the pulley.

Thanks that certainly sounds worth an investigation.
So basically the alternator pulley should spin freely with the belt off?
Same here, it can be a quiet trip now and again but more and more often it isn't.
firewalker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Mad Husky » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:44 pm

Yes should spin freely along with the other pulleys as well my waterpump span freely so did the vac pump can't remember if power steering did or not must have been ok as i wasn't worried about it. on a side note the idler pulley felt rough so that was changed along with the tensioner I used quality parts not original i don't think europarts what ever they supply.
Mad Husky
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby firewalker » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:42 pm

Mad Husky wrote:Yes should spin freely along with the other pulleys as well my waterpump span freely so did the vac pump can't remember if power steering did or not must have been ok as i wasn't worried about it. on a side note the idler pulley felt rough so that was changed along with the tensioner I used quality parts not original i don't think europarts what ever they supply.

Great info thanks.
The idler pulley and tensioner + belt were replaced 2 years/8k miles ago, will have to see what the garage says now.
I'm pretty sure the bloke I use gets parts delivered by a Europarts van, I have it booked in tomorrow - literally after just spending £1100 on bodywork and respray, ouch!
Update will follow.
firewalker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby firewalker » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:12 pm

So I booked it into the garage and drove it there full volume, parked it up.
They started it up and it was quiet. Took it for a half hour run to drive it back after the noise picked up, but the noise didn't come back.
On the way home it began but never got up to it's worst.
I'm now wondering if the belt grip has played a part, maybe its cleaned up the pulleys a little. It still sounds like a chirp-chirp-chirp noise that speeds up under load, not a slipping belt squeal so still suspect a pulley.
Time will tell I suppose, it gets a 400 mile run next week!
firewalker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby firewalker » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:28 pm

Noticed oil around a pulley casing - could be onto something!
Starts up, after a short while oil fine sprays onto belt and causes squeaking???
It's the bottom right pulley looking at it from the front - can anyone tell me what it does?
firewalker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby knobby1 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:22 am

firewalker wrote:Noticed oil around a pulley casing - could be onto something!
Starts up, after a short while oil fine sprays onto belt and causes squeaking???
It's the bottom right pulley looking at it from the front - can anyone tell me what it does?

On a 2.4 with aircon, lookoing at it from the front, bottom right pulley is aircon compressor, if no aircon, it will be the water pump.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby firewalker » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:14 pm

The leak is a separate issue, common fault - gasket failing between the water pump and vacuum pump apparently. It's very minor and the part didn't arrive for the garage to fit it today. May tackle that myself anyway.
Culprit this time appears to have been the tensioner pulley. Had it changed today, a short drive seems to bear that diagnosis up.
I may just be paranoid and over-listening now - but still wondering if I can hear a faint return!! :lol:
firewalker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Next

Return to Technical Problems & Questions