*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Coding 2nd hand control units with IDS?.

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Coding 2nd hand control units with IDS?.

Postby Keithmac » Tue May 14, 2019 5:58 am

Hello all, just seen on here that there are some very knowledgeable people using IDS/ VCM11.

I have a MK2 2013 Kuga with the lovely DCT450 Powershift gearbox, and another gearbox on the way to replace it.

I also have a brand new virgin Transmission Control Unit.

The car is family run around and I'm under a fair bit of pressure to get it back on the road, but don't want to have to remove gearbox twice as it's a swine of a job!.

Just a couple of quick questions.

Can I use IDS/ VCM11 to basically copy the firmware from my original TCU onto the second hand TCU after fitting? (basically a clone with my original programming and VIN)?.

If not can I download my orignal firmware and flash it to the BLANK new TCU without access to the Ford servers?.

I have choices of IDS up to v109?, and either run it on a 64 bit windows 7 laptop with VMWARE or on an old 32 bit XP laptop (which route is best/ which version best for a 2013 Ford?).

Sorry for all the none Transit related questions and I can understand if this post gets deleted but if anyone could give me a couple of quick answers just to make sure I won't spend hours trying to do something that can't be done!.

Last option would be to fit my original TCU to the new gearbox but I have read earlier TCUs suffered from dry solder joints and bad potting so I can't trust it really.

Thanks for your time, Keith.
Keithmac
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Coding 2nd hand control units with IDS?.

Postby loot » Wed May 15, 2019 9:29 am

You should be able to run ids and go to module programming, new module installation, tpu and if the original 1 works it'll copy it then tell you to replace it then save the data to it.

But if the module is simpler than that like abs it might just need installing, there may be a learn routine or initialization procedure.

On Newer modules with etis server in not sure whether you would need pats, I would guess not but really can't advise you on that.

Hopefully someone who's done similar will be along soon
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby Keithmac » Wed May 15, 2019 1:38 pm

Thanks for the pointers, where does the info go between swapping the TCU's, will it be saved to a file?.

It's a two day job to do on my drive by the look of it, would have to connect to oringinal TCU which is physically inside the gearbox then do the swap and then reconnect to new 'box.

They are quite complex dual clutch gearboxes, plenty being controlled by the TCU.

Was thinking of making a patch cable to try and flash the new 'box next to the car.
Keithmac
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby loot » Wed May 15, 2019 1:59 pm

Basically if the 2 tcu are the same in terms of operation and programming then you run ids with the original system in place then you direct it to a replacement tcu at which point it'll tell you to swap the tcu over to the new 1 and finish the procedure.

You can change the gearbox over to the new 1 and install the old tcu then do the module replacement. Or do it as above, you can replace the gearbox complete with the new 1 with tcu and you can initialize it and if possible restore backup data from speedo or asbuilt.

But as I said, I haven't worked on a kuga nor have I replaced tcu.
07 350 170ps
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby Keithmac » Thu May 16, 2019 10:21 pm

Thanks for the replies, the TCU is part of the Mecatronic unit so a good 6 hour job to swap them over with the gearbox in the car.

Been fighting with it after work most nights, for the sake of a few extra connectors it's cost me nearly 4 hours to drop the subframe. Packed in tight!.
Keithmac
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Keithmac » Tue May 21, 2019 6:43 pm

Tried to download the TCU with IDS but it is asking me for an AsBuilt for my car.

Has anyone on here got access to AsBuilt files please?.
Keithmac
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby loot » Tue May 21, 2019 11:40 pm

07 350 170ps
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby Keithmac » Wed May 22, 2019 7:41 am

Hello Loot, I tried that on Sunday and it didn't work, tried it again just nown and I have a 475kb .ab file sonit seems to have done the trick!.

It list PCM and BCE modules but no TCU, is that correct?.

My vin is WFOAXXWPMADB52387

The car is all over the shed and house now, I need to make an adapter plate for the new gearbox then try to connect with VCMII.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated!.
Keithmac
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Return to Technical Problems & Questions