*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

ford transit hpu asm unit motor problems please help!!

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

ford transit hpu asm unit motor problems please help!!

Postby charlee19 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:03 pm

Hi all. I have a UK 51 reg ford transit semi auto. its only done 66k miles, the hpu uinit is getting stuck in gear, and just stops, the motor is heard when u open driver door, I have found that when it sticks in gear and i come to a stand still, the lights are flashing on dash, now if i get out the van go round and hit the motor on the hpu unit with a wench a few times, the motor whirld fast and loud, and it drops out of gear. Can somebody help, as its low mileage, should there be a problem. As im in UK, its hard to get hpu units and the motors, anybody got advise, would be a big help, ford dealers in uk, seem to want to replace the hpu, well thats a no no as the van is worth £600-1200. HELP!!!
charlee19

Re: ford transit hpu asm unit motor problems please help!!

Postby dargie25 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:14 am

If you are absolutely sure the problem is the motor, you can get it replaced, which as I understand costs a few grand because their rare as hen's teeth. I've read about one person who traced the problem to the motor coil, and had it rewound at a cost of about 600 quid.
You could covert it to a manual, which as far as I've read isn't actually that hard but good luck finding a mechanic willing to do it.

But the problem might not be the motor, one common fault seems to be the duel mass flywheel disintegrating which can cause the gearbox to do all sorts of crazy stuff.

Could also be air in the system, many people suggest bleeding the hydraulics going to the clutch and gearbox.

But as you say if the vans only worth 600 quid, might be worth just scrapping it and buying another.
dargie25
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Punto443 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:03 am

Is it one of these?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3291660831

If so, looks a lot like and abs pump motor?
Your bullets cannot harm me, my wings are like a shield of steel

2018 Renault trafic
my old mk7
my old mk6
my xr3i
Punto443
Site Moderator

Postby Punto443 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:07 am

I reckon I’d have a good look round some ford abs units and see what looks the same?
This looks vaguely similar etc

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 1839408224
Your bullets cannot harm me, my wings are like a shield of steel

2018 Renault trafic
my old mk7
my old mk6
my xr3i
Punto443
Site Moderator

Postby Frag » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:49 pm

Last post on this thread may be worth contacting him..
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135028&p=1585234&hilit=asm+motor#p1585234
He's not been on here for a year,and is in the USA but says shipping is not a problem on another thread.

Hmm,looking at the first Ebay link above,probably the same guy....
Frag
Ford Technician

Postby charlee19 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:02 pm

Thanks guys for your thoughts, i think i will need to get somebody to bleed the ASM unit, the fluid does look very high in the reservoir, does anybody no the procedure in bleeding??? and what oadb and software is needed. thanks
charlee19

Postby kevbleicester » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:10 pm

Hi,I have the same problem. My father gave me his work transit 53 plate 66k on the clock. 2.4 Di ASM. I have checked everything I can, even got diags tool to bleed etc. No faults found. Yet struggles to go in gear. If I don't start van but foot on the brake, I can select all gears and hear the HPU pump working as it should. As soon as its started the light over the N starts to flash and the gear symbol flashes on the dashboard. Now what I have found if I turn the ignition on and wait for 30 seconds, start the van I i can get it to go in gear, D N and reverse all ok for about 20 secs. I can even move off no trouble. At this point even the gear symbol stops flashing, then thats it gear selection gone... But switch off and do the same thing again and it works for 20 or 30 seconds again. I just wish I could work out why the gear symbol flashes. I am sure I could resolve. I would have to pay 4k probably the get a mint van with no rust and only done 66k on the clock. Its such a piss off and really doing my head in... Any help or direction would be great, al post a link to the vid on you tube when done. Regards Kevin. Cleaning all the fuses and relays and wires under the va has seemed to help, but still no solid fix.
kevbleicester

Postby kevbleicester » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:17 pm

The Ford software does self bleed the system, but not sure how you change the fluid. I might release the pressure and get a air line syphon pump like you do breaks with and suck all old stuff out. Then refill and bleed with the ford IDS software. I have spoke to a few people that think it could have a chance at working. But this seems odd that upto 30 seconds from startup its fine.
kevbleicester

Postby ossie cossie » Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:57 pm

following threads on ASM
ossie cossie
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Return to Technical Problems & Questions