*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Diff lock.

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Diff lock.

Postby Hoversurvey » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:14 pm

Hi everyone. I've just joined the forum.

We have a Mk 7 camper that needs to go places a nice camper wouldn't...mostly beaches
and woodland... often with a trailer. It regularly gets stuck...not bogged but just needs a bit more traction.

Can anyone suggest a difflock or what axle to fit to provide lsd capability ? I am out of my depth on Ford stuff .

Its a nice van and in good condition so worth doing some work to get a decent conversion.

All ideas appreciated! Ross
Hoversurvey

Re: Diff lock.

Postby knobby1 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:06 am

Hoversurvey wrote:Hi everyone. I've just joined the forum.

We have a Mk 7 camper that needs to go places a nice camper wouldn't...mostly beaches
and woodland... often with a trailer. It regularly gets stuck...not bogged but just needs a bit more traction.

Can anyone suggest a difflock or what axle to fit to provide lsd capability ? I am out of my depth on Ford stuff .

Its a nice van and in good condition so worth doing some work to get a decent conversion.

Assuming it's a RWD..?? Don't think there is a diff-lock or LSD available off the shelf for the Transits, the only option would be a custom axle, that's a whole other can of worms. The Mk7's did come from the factory with an AWD setup, but they're quite rare.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby bambi mk 1 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:31 am

Hoversurvey wrote:Hi everyone. I've just joined the forum.

It wont be a nice van for long if you bring it on the beach,Transits are known to rust in the brochure :wink:
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby knobby1 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:55 am

bambi mk 1 wrote:It wont be a nice van for long if you bring it on the beach,Transits are known to rust in the brochure :wink:

From what I understand, even the plastic parts rust in the UK..! :mrgreen:

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Airthies » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:45 am

Best option for locker diff would be one off a yank pickup that you could chop and modify spring mounts to fit. Your then getting into modified/different wheels front and back.

You do have the esp switch which helps and then choice of tyre can make a huge difference (I run BFG AT Ko2 225/75R16 on mine an I take it shitty places.

Then rather than investing in the challenge of putting another diff under there why not invest in a good portable mini compressor.?
Drop tyres down to as low as 10/20psi and spread the footprint depending on ground conditions

As mentioned though if you go for the option of putting a newer axle on, after being on the beach a few times that could be all you're left with

Sent from my anu5 using crapatalk
2009 350T200 LWB medium roof, converted to 4x4 (the 2nd namby-pamby job)
2008 350LWB 115PS ex welfare van
2008 350LWB 115PS ex fitters van "retired" :cry:
Bikes, yes, a few bikes.
V86+patch
V86.04
X-Prog
C81
Airthies
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Hoversurvey » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:20 am

Thanks everyone. I think that tells me what I feared...not much chance of a mechanical solution.

Just for the record, our van is regularly blasted with waxoyl and when it is taken to the beach it gets a full wash off and flush...but never gets on the wet bits, just tows the trailer on hard sand so I am kind to it....honest !!! I have owned Land Rovers for decades so sadly know about the tin worm issue.

Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated all.
Hoversurvey

Postby Airthies » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:38 am

One thing I've not looked into but thought about is the ranger diff...
You get electric locking versions of that so wondering if its possible to make some sort of barsteward of the two.
The biggest problem with any axle that has diff lock is the track width, as nothing is as wide as the transit.

Bikes, yes, a few bikes.
V86+patch
V86.04
X-Prog
C81
Airthies
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby bambi mk 1 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:06 am

You could try https://gripperlsd.com/ They can build you one ,may be a tad expensive but less expensive than replacing you van stuck in the sand with the tide comming in :shock:
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Hoversurvey » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:24 pm

Thanks. Their web site looks promising. BTW, I phoned ARB today and they don't do anything.

We only go at low tide and stay on the hard sand so unlikely ....I hope :-)
Hoversurvey

Postby Jim Archer » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:41 am

Airthies wrote:One thing I've not looked into but thought about is the ranger diff...
You get electric locking versions of that so wondering if its possible to make some sort of barsteward of the two.
The biggest problem with any axle that has diff lock is the track width, as nothing is as wide as the transit.

If it's a Dana unit, it may well swap in with some small mods, they tend to use generic parts.

Jim
Mk7 140 Jumbo - Vantunered.
289,000 and counting.
Jim Archer
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Airthies » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:08 pm

Jim Archer wrote: they tend to use generic parts.

Jim

That's what I've found between the ranger and transit so far in my namby pamby project front hub splines the same(ish) gear box the same.
Just it's a bit much for me at this point to be spending more cash on a hunch and a hope

Bikes, yes, a few bikes.
V86+patch
V86.04
X-Prog
C81
Airthies
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Hoversurvey » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:05 am

No luck from Gripper. They can make a special but at £1700 plus fitting it would be unaffordable. I fear the idea is dead in the water but I find it incredible with all the vehicles around no one has produced an aftermarket unit. In the Land Rover world you have any number of people making different addons. Not all well thought out but a huge range of aftermarket stuff.
Hoversurvey

Postby dumper » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:50 am

When I had my mk3 campervan I fitted a ZF Limited slip diff supplied by ford and had it on off road tyres it was better at getting into places but still got stuck when I parked up but been on car rally’s there is allways a recovery team on the events to pull me out but for when I’m fishing in the van I carry a hand winch and a long ratchet strap and have managed to pull my self out of the muck may not be any good to you as not many trees on the beach to pull against
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Hoversurvey » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:42 am

Gripper have advised they may be able to make a batch for £950 each if they have 4 units ordered. Anyone interested ?
Hoversurvey

Postby solo_muka » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:36 pm

dumper wrote:When I had my mk3 campervan I fitted a ZF Limited slip diff supplied by ford and had it on off road tyres it was better at getting into places but still got stuck when I parked up but been on car rally’s there is allways a recovery team on the events to pull me out but for when I’m fishing in the van I carry a hand winch and a long ratchet strap and have managed to pull my self out of the muck may not be any good to you as not many trees on the beach to pull against

Ho, this is interesting.

Do you have any references for the Tyres and diff you used on your MKIII?
I'm into modding mine to enhance off road capabilities!

Thanks!
solo_muka

Next

Return to Technical Problems & Questions