*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

wipers,horn and headlights not working

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

wipers,horn and headlights not working

Postby The Big ‘O’ H » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:09 pm

Hi, not sure if I'm doing this right ( not the first time I've said that!! ) hope this is in the right section.
i have a 2012 mwb 2.2 transit. a few days ago I left london to come home, it started raining so I turned on the wipers to find them not working.. the headlights and horn were also not working. I have checked the fuses and they all seem ok.. would usually farm this sort of thing out to a professional but i would like to start doing things myself. any help would be really appreciated!!
The Big ‘O’ H
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: wipers,horn and headlights not working

Postby coonak » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:50 am

Do you have two batteries, the front one might be dead.
98 Hiace
2000 Hiace
2003 125 280 gone injectors!
2010 85 280 gone ULEZ!
....68 105 280 Custom eco blue
coonak
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby The Big ‘O’ H » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:45 pm

hi, yes, i do have 2 batteries, and i have had to jump start the van a few times recently... is there a way to check a batteries condition?
The Big ‘O’ H
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby The Big ‘O’ H » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:17 pm

thanks for suggesting the battery, i have googled it and checked the batteries, front one shows a healthy 13v the front one is breathing its last at a sad little 4.3 volts.. hopefully the issues will disappear with a new battery!!!
The Big ‘O’ H
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby The Big ‘O’ H » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:48 pm

Ok.... it’s been a very busy couple of weeks but I’ve managed to put a new battery in... this had a good side effect of making the permanent live to the stereo become permanent once again after a few years of having to retune it every time I started the van. But unfortunately no wipers, horn or headlights.. which is getting really tiresome!!

I have tested every single fuse and relay in the two fuse boxes behind the glove box as well as the one in the engine compartment!!!! Still nothing!!! Can anyone help? What else can I test? I have put a lot of time into this and I’m determined to fix it myself... any help would be greatly appreciated..... tia.
The Big ‘O’ H
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby johnenigma » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:33 am

Have you checked the components themselves? I have worked on vans with both headlights not working as well as horn.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
johnenigma
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby coonak » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:11 am

Have you checked the loom to the steering column for damage all the faults are concentrated in that area
98 Hiace
2000 Hiace
2003 125 280 gone injectors!
2010 85 280 gone ULEZ!
....68 105 280 Custom eco blue
coonak
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby The Big ‘O’ H » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:38 pm

I’ve checked the steering column but no signs of damage there.. I have 12v to the wiper motor, I originally thought that was the issue before I realised the headlights and horn were also not working... I’ve bought a secondhand wiper motor from eBay, it should be here tomorrow, I’ll bung that on and see if that does anything....
Thank you as always for replying....
The Big ‘O’ H
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Transitsydney » Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:52 pm

The Big ‘O’ H wrote:Hi, not sure if I'm doing this right ( not the first time I've said that!! ) hope this is in the right section.
i have a 2012 mwb 2.2 transit. a few days ago I left london to come home, it started raining so I turned on the wipers to find them not working.. the headlights and horn were also not working. I have checked the fuses and they all seem ok.. would usually farm this sort of thing out to a professional but i would like to start doing things myself. any help would be really appreciated!!

Hi mate I know it’s a while ago, did you ever get to the bottom of it? I’m having the same issues here.
Transitsydney

Postby fortyeight » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:50 pm

have you tried the earths on them bad earths course a lot of problems
fortyeight
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Return to Technical Problems & Questions