*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Oil leak or injectors?

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Oil leak or injectors?

Postby ZedEx48K » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:26 pm

Hi, new to the forum (and Transits), been to look at a van today and it was mentioned it had an oil leak (like most :P ), but on checking it out my limited knowledge (formally a Vauxhall 'fan' ) from a read here and on Facebook, I suspect it may actually just be the injector seals. The leak appears to be on top of the engine under the air box and thusly flowing down the front and sides of the engine (can't see the back obviously), so I'm after opinions, the rest of the van is sound so I'm 90% interested in it, just would like to know beforehand if I'm right or not, thanks.

I've attached some images I hope might help. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ZedEx48K

Re: Oil leak or injectors?

Postby Cider Andy » Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:45 pm

Yes, it does look like the top injector seals but that is a lot of oil. I have a van with the front of the engine blathered in old oil like that but someone has renewed the rocker cover so I don't know if that was the reason for the massive leak.

Both my other 2.2 FWD Mk7 Transits have leaked around the injectors but it was only seepage really, it never strayed from the top of the rocker cover.

Whilst leaks can (and do) occur on these engines when, for example, an oil seal breaks down, they're not leaky engines when they're in good order.
Drink moderately, eat healthily, exercise regularly, die anyway.
Cider Andy
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby ZedEx48K » Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:48 pm

Thanks for the reply, they have been running around with it like that and camping out in it, so there's a good few thousand miles of build up of accumulation.
ZedEx48K

Postby Punto443 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:06 pm

It's quite common to leak around the injectors, although if excessive, I'd check for a blocked breather hose causing crankcase pressure.
Your bullets cannot harm me, my wings are like a shield of steel

2018 Renault trafic
my old mk7
my old mk6
my xr3i
Punto443
Site Moderator

Postby ZedEx48K » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:12 pm

Cheers for that Batfink, is that on the top of the engine too, totally new to these, is there a Haynes type manual 'floating around' ?
ZedEx48K

Return to Technical Problems & Questions