*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk5 2.5 timing

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Mk5 2.5 timing

Postby 1976lwb » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:54 pm

Evening guys I've had a 100ps engine under my bench for a while now, the original epic pump was removed for a project I was on with at the time of purchase of this engine, I've since bought another mk5 with a knackered engine, I've swapped pump earlier today with a Bosch pump along with flywheel and clutch as it had a torque converter on, problem is now I cant turn the engine more than one full rotation before it locks, I've pinned the biggest hole on flywheel and pump and cam pulley is pinned properly, any thoughts on what might be wrong or where I've gone wrong cheers lee
1976lwb
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Mk5 2.5 timing

Postby Chug » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:31 pm

I asssume it's locking coz crank and cam are not timed correctly, and I also assume the flywheel was fitted correctly?
did you pin the engine before removing the torque converter?
1991(J) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
1994(L) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby 1976lwb » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:21 pm

Hello mate, I didn't pin the flywheel when I removed the existing flywheel and torque converter that's my fault, the the flywheel I have fitted now had a locating dowel so couldn't really get that that wrong, I'm thinking the cam wheel must have also been moved over time, I'm no mechanic I'm a panel beater by trade, just cant figure out to even get them back to where they all line up, it just seems as if they're all fighting against each other when I attempt to turn engine by hand
1976lwb
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Chug » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:36 am

It sounds like you are probably 180 degrees out with the crankshaft, the cam runs at half the crankshaft speed, so two turns of the crankshaft for one camshaft revolution, so the engine is trying to fire on the wrong cylinders.
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby 1976lwb » Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:23 pm

Thanks for the reply chuggy, my mates been down today for a nosey to see what mess I had got myself Into, took rocker cover off and backed the bolts right off the rocker shaft to close all the valves up, on doing this we still couldn't turn the crank fully a full turn, so took the head off for further investigation, all we could find was loads of carbon and crap on top of the piston, cleaned all this off and just dropped head back on in position and now we can turn everything as it should be, hopefully with a new head gasket fitted later I can build it back up, great learning curve though
1976lwb
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Chug » Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:53 pm

That's a strange one never come across carbon doing that before, but I did think it was a bit weird that the engine was all pinned up properly and locking up and thought maybe somehow you had got the flywheel on wrong, but hopefully you have got it sorted now. Was it turning over with the rocker shaft tightened back down?
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby 1976lwb » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:06 pm

Just waiting on head gasket mate,put head back on with 4 bolts and turned it over a few times on crank, seemed fine and flywheel pin slotted straight in no trouble, just can't figure out how so much shxt got in where It did and caused a whole lot of hassles??
1976lwb
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Technical Problems & Questions