*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Radio Power

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Radio Power

Postby R88BUC » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:02 am

Hi all, I’m new here so hello everyone.
I have recently purchased a new Auto-trail coachbuilt motorhome based on a Ford Transit ecoblue 2000cc 170 ps, built late 2019. It came fitted with a Xzent X-F280 head unit. The power for the head unit comes from the ignition fully on position, and this seems a little strange to me as I would expect it to come from ignition position 1 (accessories). I don’t know if this is the way it is wired or as I’m not up to speed with modern canbus systems it is a module programming thing.
I also own a VW transporter, the radio system comes on and off with the ignition key in position 1 and it can also be powered on without the key in the ignition for a set time period and then powers off, this would be ideal for a motorhome where I would like to use the radio while parked up.
I’m hoping someone has some advise or suggestions.
Thanks all in advance.
R88BUC

Re: Radio Power

Postby Altransit » Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:12 pm

Doesn't it come on if you switch on with just the radio power button :?:

It should stay on for an hour, and then turn off to save the battery.
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby R88BUC » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:35 pm

Altransit wrote:Doesn't it come on if you switch on with just the radio power button :?:

Unfortunately no, it is completely dead until the ignition key is turned fully on, engine does need to be running though!

It would be great if it did operate as you suggest. I’m not sure if this is a bad installation of the 3rd party head unit or it is installed as intended, but it doesn’t seem correct to me. What you suggest would be much more sensible.
Any suggestions on how to achieve what you say would be great.
R88BUC

Postby blue estate » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:48 pm

R88BUC wrote:
Altransit wrote:Doesn't it come on if you switch on with just the radio power button :?:

Unfortunately no, it is completely dead until the ignition key is turned fully on, engine does need to be running though!

It would be great if it did operate as you suggest. I’m not sure if this is a bad installation of the 3rd party head unit or it is installed as intended, but it doesn’t seem correct to me. What you suggest would be much more sensible.
Any suggestions on how to achieve what you say would be great.
Bad install of 3rd party unit I reckon as all ford units power up on position 1 or 1 hour if turned on by power button
A well installed 3rd party unit should come on at position 1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
72plt MG 5 ev estate Battery car
blue estate
Remapped by Vantuner

Postby Idwal » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:21 am

Hi. Have you discussed the power issue with the dealer that sold you the vehicle as I have the same issue.
Idwal

Postby Jim Archer » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:27 pm

Latest ones switch off after about 10-15mins, and only allow you a few goes - less than an hours worth of listening I'd reckon.

Does the unit stay on once the ignition is switched off? And go off when the drivers door is opened?

Jim
Mk7 140 Jumbo - Vantunered.
289,000 and counting.
Jim Archer
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby johnenigma » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:59 pm

Sounds like it is a 3rd party headunit installed. The genuine Ford unit will power on without the key for a while the go off, saving the battery. At the moment I also got a Mk5 Golf with an aftermarket headunit that only works with the engine running.
Can you post a picture of the radio installation please?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
johnenigma
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Lady-Jane » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:32 pm

We have the same issue with our recently purchased motorhome. Surely you don't need to leave the key in the ignition all the time when using the radio. None of our other motorhomes have had radios operating in this way.
Lady-Jane

Postby johnenigma » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:53 pm

Lady-Jane wrote:We have the same issue with our recently purchased motorhome. Surely you don't need to leave the key in the ignition all the time when using the radio. None of our other motorhomes have had radios operating in this way.

What motorhome have you purchased and what make headunit have you got?
johnenigma
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Kevinr » Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:27 pm

I have same issue on Ford based Auto-Trail F60 in New Zealand (uk import). Would love to know a fix to have power on in accesory position
Kevinr

Postby Littleernie » Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:53 pm

Hi all
Regarding the messages I've read, am I right in saying that the xzent
x-f280 head unit fitted to my Autotrail F74 will not work unless the engine is running .
About a week ago I went to wales and at the start of the journey the head set wouldn't come on until approximately 5 mile into our journey.
I went back to my motor home today which is parked in a secure compound and gay again there is no power to the system when you first turn the engine on.
Any ideas what I could do as not getting alot of help from the dealer I purchased the motor home from or the Ford dealer in Ipswich Suffolk as they are saying the head unit is an aftermarket fitting
Best regards
Littleernie

Postby Sparkey_10 » Thu May 19, 2022 8:47 pm

Did you ever get to the bottom of this ? Mine is the same, engine needs to be running, but when the start/stop kicks in the thing goes off. So annoying… if I can find where the feed goes I’ll switch the power to the leisure battery.
Sparkey_10

Return to Technical Problems & Questions