*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

First Transit...Retro vs Tech

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Re: First Transit...Retro vs Tech

Postby Heathen » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:03 am

Dumper - Thanks.

Chuggy - I'm unsure on thermostat, but the heater/fan was definitely throwing some hot air.

The disconnected plug (two pictures north of here), couldn't be anything to do with it, could it?

I'm completely unsure what lights should come on when the key is turned to the primed position (for symbol light check/diagnostic), but I thought at least the Glow Plug warming light should come on. All I get is a battery light, and one other which I can't quite remember right now.
Heathen
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Chug » Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:43 pm

There are no glow plugs on DI transits so no glow plug light.

Not sure what that connector is in your picture though. Is there a missing connector on the bottom of the fuel filter, does that plug fit it?

When the van is first started and running feel the top hose, it should be cold until the thermostat opens when engine reaches normal operating temp, then the top hose should get hot, it will take a good while to reach operating temp and get the thermostat open if running at idle.
But if the top hose is getting warm soon after first starting then the thermostat isn't working, or is missing.
1991(J) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
1994(L) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Noctule » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:15 pm

to concur with Chuggy, the plug looks like the water-in-fuel warning off the bottom of the fuel filter.

When you turn on the ignition the oil pressure warning and alternator warning will come on and stay on, and the low fuel and water-in-fuel warnings will flash momenterily to prove the circuits are live. When you turn the key to start the brake fluid warning will light up to prove that the circuit is live.

More lights come on if you have glow plugs, ABS, and air bags.
2000 Mk5 HiCube self-build camper
- 2.5tdi 4EA with EPIC-to-Bosch conversion
- DRW with 16" rims
- Mondeo instrument cluster
- Lunar Meteorite interior

2006 Mk7 115t350 van (cheap tax tramp)

Previously...
Mk5 100 swb Custom
Mk5 190 lwb x3
Noctule
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Heathen » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:14 am

Thank you both for the reply.

It sure was off the bottom of the filter. That could explain why that light didn't come on during the first turn/click of the key.

I'll try feeling for which hoses get heat first, at what length of time, once I have the engine all back together.
Heathen
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Previous

Return to Technical Problems & Questions