*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

MK1/MK2 front axle use on hotrod questions

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

MK1/MK2 front axle use on hotrod questions

Postby LemonV8 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:53 am

Dear Transit people,
My name is jeroen, I live in the Netherlands. And I could use some help from you. I do like the Transit van but I do not own one. The only Ford I have is a Mustang V8 engine for my Hotrod project.But I might ad a Transit Mk1/Mk2 front axle to it.

My project is a Citroën C4 from 1932. It looked good to start with but was technical worn out with no working electronics and a wood cabin rear wall full of woodworm.The last owner was a car painter who is really handy with filler. I scraped a Mustang for the engine and other parts. The rear axle is a Volvo 240 on Dodge W200 leaf springs.Opel waterpump and power steering on Mustang column, Alfa seats, Citroen CX clocks, self made steering wheel etc.A mix of cars so a Transit axle would blend in. I believe parts are good available?

The front axle is one of the last gray areas in my plan.  I would like to put disc brakes on my front axle but that is not very easy. Everything must not take to much width and I must use narrow tires on not yet existing wheels to keep the scrub radius in a acceptable range.  A friend pointed me to a complete Transit axle as in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=161063&c=1An axle can be shortened nicely this way: https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/thr ... le.168603/
Since I work at a trailer factory colleagues can weld it professionally 

Before I look for one I would like to see if it would fit. Who can help me to some dimensions and other questions? I put some blank dimensions in the drawing below. And I have some extra questions:What are typical wheel/tyre dimensions for these axles? And the bolt pattern? How do the wheels for a disc axle look like? Below the dimension picture some random pictures. Image

Citroen CXImage

For the hotrodImage

LemonV8

Return to Technical Problems & Questions