*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

power train light on and limp mode

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Re: power train light on and limp mode

Postby knobby1 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:47 pm

straydog wrote:Hi
I think he was asking about stage 4 or 5 to check if it had a DPF (Diesel particulate filter) these can get blocked with soot.
Mine dosn't, so for me not the prob, but yours being later it could be.

Euro-5 started production in late 2011. Euro-4 was 2006 to late 2011.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby The Big ‘O’ H » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:59 pm

hi Guys, I've only just checked back in here, 4 kids, a mental missus and a huge lack f mechanical talent keep me very busy!! straydog, no worries at all brother, we all need to help each other dude... Frag, thanks for your help mate.. really starting to learn some stuff now... i did get the guys back who diagnosed it in the first place, they checked it out and said it was showing the same codes as before so i might want to try a new egr valve.. i read a lot about cleaning them and/or blanking disc insertion... but to my mind, if somethings that badly wrong, because of my inexperience, id rather just replace it. i bought one from europarts, ( i was not going to get assaulted by the criminals at ford again ) it cost £ 160 inc... I'm glad i did as when i removed the existing one ( and thats a fun job ) :shock: it was seized sold with carbon and the cogs wouldn't move, definitely beyond repair!!
I have just finished installing the new one and putting everything back together and almost ready to check.
but... and i know there are going to be sniggers and people laughing into their oil cans, but i am a real novice... very keen to learn as i real enjoying working on the van...but the fluid i lost from the hoses to the erg valve.. am i right in assuming the erg is water cooled and i will just need to top up the coolant bottle? and if so, ill need to add some summer coolant/anti freeze?
thanks in advance
O
The Big ‘O’ H
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby The Big ‘O’ H » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:04 pm

p and/or s
what is a ' Garret " ?
again showing my ignorance, but I've never even heard of that before...
The Big ‘O’ H
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:42 pm

The Big ‘O’ H wrote:p and/or s
what is a ' Garret " ?
again showing my ignorance, but I've never even heard of that before...

PS is basically the horsepower rating...PS & HP are very close to each other....PS is essentially "metric" horse power. (1ps = 0.986 hp).

Garrett is the manufacturer of the turbo fitted to most Transits.

Lord Knobrot

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby knobby1 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:49 pm

The Big ‘O’ H wrote:but... and i know there are going to be sniggers and people laughing into their oil cans, but i am a real novice... very keen to learn as i real enjoying working on the van...but the fluid i lost from the hoses to the erg valve.. am i right in assuming the erg is water cooled and i will just need to top up the coolant bottle? and if so, ill need to add some summer coolant/anti freeze?
thanks in advanceO

Yes, you will loose a small amount of coolant, once you have it all back together and running, turn the heater on to let the coolant circulate everywhere, let it warm up to normal operating temp and just top up the coolant as required, take it for a quick spin and check again.....it should be noted that some EGR valves are not water cooled and don't have the little coolant pipes in them...mine doesn't.

Let us know how you get on.

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby The Big ‘O’ H » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:57 am

thanks Mr Knobrot, yep, got it all back together, topped it up with coolant taken it for a spin and...... i am soon hacked off.. its just gone straight back to the same problem.. engine light is on all the time and has been since the problem started, I'm guessing that just needs a clearing from a code reader. but its the power train light that comes on after 1/4 mile ish and it goes into limp again... from the start i wasn't keen on just blanking it off as a lot of people had suggested but we all get to that point at times.
i did try disconnecting the power lead to the egr and took it for a spin, it went like a race car for about a mile and id thought it had cured it but then the powertrain light came on and straight into limp mode..
any idea as to if i did blank off the new egr valve, if would work or not ? I'm on limited funds at the moment and also, i really don't want to throw the towel in either.. i proper enjoying working on the beast but just getting really disheartened right now.. any help or input would be gratefully received... TIA
The Big ‘O’ H
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:19 am

The Big ‘O’ H wrote:thanks Mr Knobrot, yep, got it all back together, topped it up with coolant taken it for a spin and...... i am soon hacked off.. its just gone straight back to the same problem.. engine light is on all the time and has been since the problem started, I'm guessing that just needs a clearing from a code reader. but its the power train light that comes on after 1/4 mile ish and it goes into limp again... from the start i wasn't keen on just blanking it off as a lot of people had suggested but we all get to that point at times.
i did try disconnecting the power lead to the egr and took it for a spin, it went like a race car for about a mile and id thought it had cured it but then the powertrain light came on and straight into limp mode..
any idea as to if i did blank off the new egr valve, if would work or not ? I'm on limited funds at the moment and also, i really don't want to throw the towel in either.. i proper enjoying working on the beast but just getting really disheartened right now.. any help or input would be gratefully received... TIA

With the Mk7, you can't blank or disconnect the EGR as it will throw a fault light and go into limp mode pretty much every time unless it's been mapped out properly. It may not even be the EGR causing the issue, could be the DPF as suggested by Straydog.

You need to find out what the actual code is for before you can fix it. Guessing and throwing money at it won't help much. With yours being a 2012 and Euro-5, they're not happy unless everything is working as it should.

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby The Big ‘O’ H » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:58 am

thanks for that, it is how things should work in my mind, i really hate shortcuts. I've just ordered one of those elm 327 devices from amazon ( hopefully here today )
I've put a brand new mas sensor on, a brand new egr and still no joy. so, as you say, ill look at the dpf next. is this some thing i can do manually or is it something i need to do with the code reader? as always, very grateful for all your help.
The Big ‘O’ H
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby straydog » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:56 pm

The Big ‘O’ H wrote:t taken it for a spin and...... i am soon hacked off.. its just gone straight back to the same problem..

I feel your pain my friend :(
I'm now also waiting for a new ELM myself, to try and get to the bottom of this problem.
Your's will probably arrive sooner than mine, so hopefully you will be able to advise me :wink:

I've been waiting for another package from the UK for nearly 2 weeks now
priority post to france...... :evil:
so fk knows when my ELM will arrive

CVD
straydog
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Frag » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:43 pm

The Big ‘O’ H wrote:thanks for that, it is how things should work in my mind, i really hate shortcuts. I've just ordered one of those elm 327 devices from amazon ( hopefully here today )
I've put a brand new mas sensor on, a brand new egr and still no joy. so, as you say, ill look at the dpf next. is this some thing i can do manually or is it something i need to do with the code reader? as always, very grateful for all your help.

Could do with knowing if this is a front or rear wheel drive ?
On a RWD the boost hose from inlet manifold to intercooler can chafe through on the engine crossmember,
The IAT in intercooler can also give a MAF code with no others...
You really need the code reader to not be just throwing parts at it.
There’s a high chance you’ll have DPF issues / soot load if the EGR has been faulty.
Once you have some diagnostic tool your in with a chance of curing it with some guidance.
Frag
Ford Technician

Postby bambi mk 1 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:24 pm

Frag wrote:
The Big ‘O’ H wrote:thanks for that, it is how things should work in my mind, i really hate shortcuts. I've just ordered one of those elm 327 devices from amazon ( hopefully here today )

Could do with knowing if this is a front or rear wheel drive ?
On a RWD the boost hose from inlet manifold to intercooler can chafe through on the engine crossmember,
The IAT in intercooler can also give a MAF code with no others...
You really need the code reader to not be just throwing parts at it.
There’s a high chance you’ll have DPF issues / soot load if the EGR has been faulty.
Once you have some diagnostic tool your in with a chance of curing it with some guidance.

I blame Knobby for not asking what van it is :mrgreen: :wink: :P
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby knobby1 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:39 pm

bambi mk 1 wrote:I blame Knobby for not asking what van it is :mrgreen: :wink: :P

Strangely, I did actually read the first post...!! :wink: :mrgreen:

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby The Big ‘O’ H » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:53 pm

Nice one lads.. it’s a front wheel drive if that helps.. my elm code doody arrived half an hour ago. I’m not going to. Be able to use it and try and get to grips with it until tomorrow unfortunately!,, but when I do, rest assured stray dog, you’ll be the first to be confused!!! ( after me obviously!!! )
O
The Big ‘O’ H
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby straydog » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:29 pm

The Big ‘O’ H wrote: rest assured stray dog, you’ll be the first to be confused!!! ( after me obviously!!! )
O

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
straydog
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby The Big ‘O’ H » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:29 pm

Ok guys... I’ve got me my elm 327 thingummybob.....:
I have downloaded forscan onto my laptop ( when I say me, I mean my 14 stepson )
I have lost any instructions or anything else it came with by leaving it unattended for several days on the dining room table !!!!!!!
Now, do I have to install drivers or anything onto the elm327 before I can plug it in and use it, or am I good to go?
I’ve looked through loads of threads etc but just can’t get my carpentry head around it!!
Again, any help would be great!!
The Big ‘O’ H
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Problems & Questions