*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Squeaky Wheel....

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Squeaky Wheel....

Postby James1990 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:29 pm

Hi...

New to the forum, thanks for having me...

62 plate SWB transit...

Get a squeak from front drivers side wheel area when over 50mph, sounds metal on metal, had new bearing, had new pads and disks and still won’t stop.....

Doesn’t squeak if you turn left or put your foot on the brake.

Any ideas?!

TIA.
James1990

Re: Squeaky Wheel....

Postby knobby1 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:58 pm

James1990 wrote:Hi...

New to the forum, thanks for having me...

62 plate SWB transit...

Get a squeak from front drivers side wheel area when over 50mph, sounds metal on metal, had new bearing, had new pads and disks and still won’t stop.....

Doesn’t squeak if you turn left or put your foot on the brake.

Any ideas?!

TIA.

I'm guessing FWD..?? If so, check the drivers side inner drive shaft support bearing.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby James1990 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:01 pm

Yes FWD :)
James1990

Postby wojciech » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:41 pm

Has the right driveshaft ever been changed in this van? If you have a replacement installed, this can be a problem.
The drive shaft for Mk6 has a short section with a splines, because the hub bearing is narrower than in the Mk7.
Some axle shaft replacement manufacturers do not want to produce two different ones. They produce a "universal" drive shaft with a slightly longer section with a splines.
After tightening the hub nut even with the correct torque, the hub can still sometimes move axially several mm - 2-3 mm. The solution is to add a second washer under the hub nut.

I had this problem twice, once the drive shaft was so long that the cap on the alloys (Ronal) was pushed out of the rim. I had to cut the drive shaft a few mm with an angle grinder. The noises during the ride were as described in the post.
wojciech
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Return to Technical Problems & Questions