*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Sound Diagnosis

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Sound Diagnosis

Postby DG-Unit » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:09 pm

I wonder if anyone could help me diagnose this noise from the engine bay after the ignition is switched off and the engine is shutting down? I'm sure other's have had it before. The engine has done somewhere between 130-160k miles.

https://youtu.be/VYwYeYI-ZEI

I'm completely new to the world of vans and Transits having bought it today. Have a feeling I'll be on here quite a lot over the next few months :D Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
2004 Transit SWB 85 T260
DG-Unit
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Re: Sound Diagnosis

Postby Frag » Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:16 am

Suggest you get someone to replicate the fault,while looking underneath/under bonnet.
Sounds like you have a lot of movement,poss lower engine mount and it’s the engine shaking about that’s causing that ?
Front wheel drive mk6 ?
Frag
Ford Technician

Postby DG-Unit » Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:35 am

Yeah a FWD engine and engine mount is my best guess. I’ll try get some better sounds of it.
2004 Transit SWB 85 T260
DG-Unit
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Frag » Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:42 am

Check the torque restrictor for wear and movement,then look for somet hitting something it shouldn’t be when it’s shutting down,or rattling about,exhaust,air filter box etc....
Frag
Ford Technician

Postby DG-Unit » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:12 pm

Checked the torque restrictor and it is mashed up. I can move the engine around easily.
2004 Transit SWB 85 T260
DG-Unit
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby knobby1 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:35 pm

DG-Unit wrote:Checked the torque restrictor and it is mashed up. I can move the engine around easily.

There ya go..! :mrgreen:

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby DG-Unit » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:27 pm

Frag wrote:Check the torque restrictor for wear and movement,then look for somet hitting something it shouldn’t be when it’s shutting down,or rattling about,exhaust,air filter box etc....

Fixed! Thanks Frag. Appears it was also the cause of the phantom judder I had when changing gears that I feared was a clutch issue despite the clutch functioning well. As you can see from the photos the old torque restrictor had disintegrated. Was relatively easy to get the old one off.

I’ve read some people having problems with the 18mm bolt at the front - I used my hand to gently feed the bolt out while turning it to prevent it just spinning on the unthreaded part. Getting it back in was more tricky to line up the 18mm bolt and had to use my leg/arm to push the engine back to get the x4 10mm bolts in at the rear (put in lose at first and tightened in a pattern like wheel nuts).

I used this ‘dynamic parts’ replacement from Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08C812MPP? ... b_ap_share costing £35. Currently on 130600 miles so I’ll post back on here when it goes again to see how long it lasted. I’ve read a few people saying to only get a replacement from Ford but they’re listed at £100+ so thought this was worth a go. Will inspect the upper engine mounts when i get a chance to see it had been putting extra stress on them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2004 Transit SWB 85 T260
DG-Unit
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby DG-Unit » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:10 pm

After popular demand I’ve returned for another episode of Sound Diagnosis:
https://youtu.be/-2ywonblfEE
It comes from the front wheels and is most prominent when turning at slow speed, turning when reversing and setting off from a standstill in a straight line. The sound started suddenly with no gradual build up.

Other relevant info:
- Recently fitted new tie rod ends, torqued to 80Nm with supplied unlock nuts
- Power steering pump has been leaking for a while and needs replacing. No leaks from the steering rack.
- Drop links, control arms & bushes and ball joints all recently replaced and not the cause of the sound.
- Drivers side front wheel bearing has slight play but hasn’t been making a noise
- No split CV boots
- Tightened the tie rod bolts after the 80Nm as far as a breaker bar would go in a bid to see if that needed more

Last time Frag knocked it out of the park diagnosing the torque restrictor. Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
2004 Transit SWB 85 T260
DG-Unit
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Return to Technical Problems & Questions