*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

mk 6 2.4 di, cranks, no start

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

mk 6 2.4 di, cranks, no start

Postby ha7wall » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:04 pm

looking for help on this...bit of background info first...van has done 200k miles, looks tatty, but reasonably well looked after mechanicly.
did a basic service on this about 1500 miles ago, oils/filters etc, been running fine without any issues, also changed the viscous and aux belt about a month ago, again, no problems.
couple of days ago, drove about 20 miles, no issues, parked up for few hours, came back and cranks but wont even attemt to start, owner says, never happened before, always been a good starter.
First i plugged into dtc, but wouldnt communicate with anything, worked perfectly when i serviced it few months previously.
checked all fuses, found one blown in passenger fuse box, replaced but no difference...
dont know if red herring, but convinced this non starting is electrical.
done some basic checks on loom connections, nothing obvious...dash lights all work fine, mileage showing on ignition, immobiliser light working as it should.

then noticed that data socket powers up my diagnostic but on cranking, it switches off completely...so did a quick check on ignition switch.
i have power/earth and ignition feed...on ignition, when i go to crank, i have the crank feed but i lose power to ignition feed...in my head, thats not right so wanted to know if anyone can confirm this.
couldnt find any info via google on site and not much when at home either...
frustratingly, i have an autodata on my old laptop with semi decent wiring diagrams/ecu pinouts...but laptop has decided it doesnt want to start up anymore.

Back to the van...also noticed the glow plug live feed had disconnected, briefly reattatched and instantly cable got hot...so must have a short in at least one of the plugs..if that happened when it wouldnt start, is there a common area i need to look for damage?....im sure it was connec ted when i serviced it (didnt touch the plugs) but its possible this was missed when i did it few months ago...though i doubt it..
carried on looking for possible wiring issues, ended up pulling the pcm, all connection looked ok but did notice a bit of moisture so currently drying it out..
should also add, AA took a look before towing it home, they also could get no coms, owner said they checked the filter and cracked at least one injector pie, and fuel was under decent pressure...not checked fuel side myself as convinced (possibly wrong0 its electrics..
need to get this mates van running asap as like me, got a heavy work schedule..

so if anyone can tell me if im on right track with losing the ignition feed at the back of the switch when cranking is an issue, then can go from there...
not concerned with glow plug feed atm, but could that have triggered a wiring/relay fault elsewhere.
also plan to remove the pass fiusebox tomorrow to see if there are any issues underneath..
will be looking for a decent wiring diagram tonight, plus if i can find info on ecu pinouts...if anyone can point me to the right place, that would be appreciated too....
ha7wall

Re: mk 6 2.4 di, cranks, no start

Postby andz327 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:57 pm

Does interior light work?? Not sure about mk6 but mk7 the power to obd port shares the same fuse as interior light, might help get your reader working hopefully your using Forscan or ids as some expensive readers dont work to good with transits

ANDZ
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby ha7wall » Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:53 pm

hello mate, interior lights are fine....though on the mk 6 with the twin fusebox under glovebox have found that a few times with transits...this mk 6 has the single small fusebox under the tray, top of the dash.
re the diagnostic tool, using a launch x431, works well with all fords upto about 2012, i have used it on this particular transit back in June, when i serviced it, all was fine...have a couple of other mk 6 transits on the books, works fine with them too...plus do a fair number of ford cars of various models of that era, no issues.

had a play with it today, first chance since i posted...had no luck with PCM, OBD socket wiring diagrams, but hoping to have that sorted tmrw.
so spent the day checking for any obvious problems within the main looms/connections, including a number of continuity tests, had the battery fully charged up, plus stipped the fuse boxes etc, again looking for any continuity issues etc...
didnt really find any problems...so connected everything back up, plugged diag back in, and got comms, which originally also used to cut completely on cranking, but fine now..happy days i thought, so refitted inlet manifold which i took off to gain easier access to pump..gave it a go on starting..no change..
went back to comms for live data, and this is where it all went weird...comms kept dropping out, as in select a few live data readings, works fine, then go back to select a few different readings, lose all comms...then feck about with various menus, comes back, then drops out again...and so it went on.
without wiring schematics, was hard to check the wiring to obd socket etc....but got a feeling an issue with ignition switch connections/loom is possibly the cause...

will pick up switch as minor expense and hopefully will have all the wiring info i need to actually run some decent tests....if i can get the diagnostics to stop faffing about, stand a chance of working out if this really is electrical issue...or a fuel one and the diag grief is just an unlucky coincidence..

did manage to get a few fault codes from pcm, two pairs of them at different points of the day..

started off with a PATS one (which im pretty sure was set when i put the wrong key in ignition, has a non chipped key for bonnet/doors) plus a P1631, main relay power hold...whick kind of makes sense if connections are breaking down..

bit later on, i got
P1664, 1564, cant remember the exact description given, but both relate to pump fuel issues, which if i understand the technicals, could be related to the relay power hold code earlier....

but again, need the ECU pinouts/tests before its worth investigating those, plus not sure how reliable/accurate those codes actually are until i can get the comms to stabilise...

am getting the latest Autodata subscription, need it anyway as have about 2/300 cars on the books, especially as my previous Autodata is now defunct and unable to access due to laptop issues...was 2015 and lot of customers have upgraded to 2016 and on cars..so not a waste, but could have done without the expense atm.
ha7wall

Postby ha7wall » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:29 pm

End result of this, both Fuel pump electronics and PCM spiked.....never got to the bottom of how/why or the issue with the diagnostics cutting in and out...
spent a lot of hours at mates rates to be 100% certain it wasnt something simple.

owner called it a day, wasnt worth him spending on it, along with tyres/mot and beginnings of a noisey rear diff...didnt owe him anything after 9yrs of use...so will be heading to the Transit car park in the sky
ha7wall

Return to Technical Problems & Questions