*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Charging System Service Now

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Charging System Service Now

Postby Bi6 G » Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:07 pm

Afternoon all.

New to the forum, so go easy.

Ok, yesteryday, jumped in my van and got the "charging system service now" warning.
I only had to move it 30 yards so parked it up, with a view to seeing if the problem was there this morning.

Everything fine on start up, then as I'm up the motorway, the warning comes on again, shortly after I lose the radio - about 5 miles later I get a brake warning advising to stop safely, then the van splutters to a stop, with no electrical power.

The van is a 66 plate - 40,000 miles. Any ideas as to what would have causes this? Battery, alternator, bad connection???

Just wondering if anybody has experienceed similar and can advise me on whether it's a straighforward repair, or is it a Ford Dealer affair.

Thanks in advance.

G
Bi6 G

Re: Charging System Service Now

Postby Frag » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:18 pm

More than likely,the one way drive clutch on alternator pulley has failed,
Also,slide drivers seat forward,under the plastic flap nearest passenger seat make sure the 10mm nut holding the lead on is tight...
Frag
Ford Technician

Postby grantm » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:45 pm

I had this random message come up on my 2019 Transit Custom van and found the there is an additional post on the earth battery connection under the driver seat ( 10m nut I think ) it was slightly loose - once tightened up fully the message has gone.
grantm

Postby Mylessmith101 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:16 pm

Hi, I’ve just had exactly the same problem happen with my van, 17 plate transit custom, only picked it up from its MOT yesterday (passed with no advisories). When I had it back I noticed the idle rpm was sitting higher than usual and when I took the key out all power was cut to my phone charger and dash cam instantly when usually it’s stay on for 5-10 minutes later until they turned them selves off what was weird. But yet was 2 minutes down the road when I got the charger system service now fault come up and everything slowly started being turned off like the lights, Radio, dashcam and eventually for the brake system malfunction stop safely fault come up then lost all power to the dashboard, luckily I wasn’t far from gone and I made it back before the battery died completely . Anyone know what the issue is? Thanks Myles
Mylessmith101

Postby japangt » Sun Dec 18, 2022 6:02 pm

Hi .

I'm also having the same problem. 60,000 miles, 2018 Ford Transit Custom. "Charging system service now" error message.
Had the BMS (I think ?) replaced on Friday as mechanic said it wasnt the battery or alternator that was the problem.
But I'm still getting the error message, and related electrical system shut down problem. Cant trust the van to be driven more than a few miles.

If we've replaced the BMS, does it all need to be reset ?
Is this something a non dealership garage can do ? or do I need to go and be fleeced by Ford ?
Could it be a different problem ?

Thanks - need some urgent advice please !!
japangt

Return to Technical Problems & Questions