*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

TDDi/TDCi swap and commonality

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

TDDi/TDCi swap and commonality

Postby liammonty » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:33 pm

Hi All,
I’ve got a 2009 T350 with a 2.4 115 TDCi engine that’s seized. I’ve also got a scrap 2000 Mk 6 T350 with the 2.4 125 TDDi. I was hoping that I’d be able to use the block from this engine with the head and all other ancillaries etc from the TDCi. However, I’ve got a sneaking suspicion that the pistons in the 2 engines may be different, meaning that the TDCi injection and head won’t be compatible with the block and pistons from the TDDi. I guess the other option is to use the TDDi engine whole, injection and all, but I’m trying to avoid all the messing with wiring that that would mean. Can anyone offer me any advice or wisdom on the best way forward and if I can make this work without having to source another engine? Thanks!
liammonty

Re: TDDi/TDCi swap and commonality

Postby knobby1 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:47 am

Quite a few engine internals are different between the two, not really compatible. Apart from the things you mention, Mk7 uses a single row timing chain....Mk6 has a double row chain. Fuel pump mounting on block is also different I believe.

If you're fed up with the Mk7 TDCi engine, there have been chaps who have changed out to the TDDi engine...but as you say, a bit of a nightmare electrically wiring wise.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Re: TDDi/TDCi swap and commonality

Postby liammonty » Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:11 pm

Thanks! Your help is appreciated!
liammonty

Return to Technical Problems & Questions