*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

I don’t know if I am asking in the right place

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

I don’t know if I am asking in the right place

Postby Mellor’s » Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:55 am

We have brought a Ford Transit 85 T260S FWD 09 plate. Today has been the first time we have driven it and only travelled locally.
When getting into it tonight (I am pregnant and not sleeping well I thought I would just go for a drive) I unlocked the van with the key (button open not key in door open). I went to turn the van on as I have done twice today already, however the key turned and nothing happened. Some lights came on on the dash born (normal lights) but then a red light appeared in the centre and a message flashed saying “engine malfunction”
Now none of the back or side doors will unlock and the van won’t start.
Can anyone give me an idea of what it could be please? As we are transit newbies I would like to make sure I have all the facts before being potentially ripped off at local garages.

Sorry if this is not the right place to write this or if I am not making sense but I am just panicking because we have only just brought to to better off our growing family and business but I am worried that is not starting and not even “ticking over”.

Please advise me if you can! Thank you in advance!
Mellor’s

Re: I don’t know if I am asking in the right place

Postby Altransit » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:11 am

Welcome :D

First and most obvious solution, is that the battery is failing.
It may be worth trying to connect the positive lead of a slave battery to the jump start point, (and the negative lead to a metal part on the engine). Jump point connector is next to the fuse box, under the bonnet on the passenger side inner wing (if the van is RHD). The van should then unlock with the remote.

If it unlocks, turn on the ignition and see if the dash lights come on, BUT it may not start if your battery is very dead, as the slave may not be able to provide enough power on its own.

If all of the above works, you'll probably need to replace the battery and check the charging :idea:
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Return to Technical Problems & Questions