*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Oil cooler? HELP

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Oil cooler? HELP

Postby throbley » Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:52 pm

Hi all
I'm in desperate need of your help.
I was driving my 52 plate jumbo today on a 300 mile trip, nothing untoward, driving as normal, however when i stopped to have a comfort break i noticed oil underneath, alot of oil.

Had a look underneath and everywhere was covered, opened the bonnet and it had sprayed everywhere.

had a look in the radiator expansion tank and there is oil there too, no water.

I feared the worst, head gasket but then thought, she didn't over heat, drove fine so.....

Got home on the back of the big yellow truck (AA) and was told it might be the oil cooler???? Would welcome any thoughts on the matter.

If the oil cooler is to blame I'm ok with changing that but what do I use to flush the coolant system as it now has oil in it????

She is an old girl and she has done 312,000 miles but she's my baby and I'd be gutted if it was terminal.....Please help
throbley
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Oil cooler? HELP

Postby andz327 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:59 pm

Its it a bit like this????
Change oil cooler before thinking headgasket trouble definitely,
Cleaning is a nightmare, strip out all hoses that have any oil in, radiator out flush , may have to take thermostat housing off to clean properly pressure wash everything you possibly can , very very messy , i used Rhino traffic film remover raw undiluted then high concentrate Rhino through a karcher power washer then ran it for a few days with dishwasher detergent , drain flush and repeat every couple of days until clean then fill with anti freeze, you might have to buy a new expansion tank as the oil doesn't to good from them
If your going to fit an upgraded oil filter housing to the spin on filter type then you'll require slightly longer bolts
GOOD LUCKImageImage

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby throbley » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:14 pm

Thank you, what are your thoughts of changing the oil filter housing to a spin on....worth the trouble?
throbley
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby andz327 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:23 am

I prefer the spin on filter , easier to replace and don't need to worry about the plastic srew cap breaking and i dare say it helps to cool oil bit better with more filter surface being exposed

andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby throbley » Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:16 am

Thank you,
and you say you need longer bolts?

Thanks for your help
throbley
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby andz327 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:15 pm

throbley wrote:Thank you,
and you say you need longer bolts?

Thanks for your help
Only just seen message ,
DM timewarptel he just done his and will be able to give you more info on longer bolts for the upgrade cooler, mine is 2.2fwd and didn't require longer bolts so can't give exact lengths required

andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby throbley » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:32 pm

Ok update,
I have changed the oil cooler and cleaned the engine bay (sort of)

I have started flushing the water system and got loads of oil and crud out and after flushing it about a dozen times the water was dirty but definitely water...

started the engine and let it warm up a bit and found oil back in the expansion tank ( i was expecting some to come through) but each time i ran the engine more oil came into the expansion tank until it was just oil, no water, i checked the oil level and it was very low ( I had filled it)

I'm thinking head Gasket???????

Any help appreciated
Tom
throbley
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby andz327 » Mon May 03, 2021 9:14 am

throbley wrote:Ok update,
I have changed the oil cooler and cleaned the engine bay (sort of)

I have started flushing the water system and got loads of oil and crud out and after flushing it about a dozen times the water was dirty but definitely water...

started the engine and let it warm up a bit and found oil back in the expansion tank ( i was expecting some to come through) but each time i ran the engine more oil came into the expansion tank until it was just oil, no water, i checked the oil level and it was very low ( I had filled it)

I'm thinking head Gasket???????

Any help appreciated
Tom
What's the latest????

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Technical Problems & Questions