*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

MK7 Won’t Start No ignition Lights

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

MK7 Won’t Start No ignition Lights

Postby Nkxtc » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:09 pm

Hi today old faithful decided fart and collapse on itself. Started running weird like it missing and the dash lights all lit up speedo wasnt moving so pulled over and switched off s and tried to restart. There was nothing just solenoid click. No lights on the dash which is really strange only a quick flicker. Managed get it to go tho and limped to the job I at. Luckily it a pal so he understood when I had to try get it started again. It didn’t though and I’m at end of my tether with it.

Put in a new battery few weeks ago as I was having trouble starting, it did the constant clicking but after a few tries it would always fire. Turned out new battery didn’t really make a difference but was marginally better

There is an oil leak going around starter so thought it getting junked up so been cleaning and today it really went for it and after 4 hours tinkering I couldnt turn it over however after a while i found if I removed R5 relay it would turn over but it won’t fire up. If I turn ignition with relay on it clicks solenoid and roughly 8 clicks come from BCM. Taking out R4 stops it turning over. Swapping relays over has no effect it just clicks.

The immobiliser light at one point flashed very fast but now just a constant flash.

All fuses tested they all ok. I tried what I read in another post about giving dash 12v at fuse 66 but that didn’t do anything.

My head a little fried after being at this all day so hope it makes sense.

Anyone had this before. Is it a faulty relay or bcm or battery or wiring or just tile I retire the thing it is 14 year old.
Nkxtc
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: MK7 Won’t Start No ignition Lights

Postby knobby1 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:00 pm

Ignition switch is a common fail on these...Cheap and easy to try.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Nkxtc » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:07 pm

Cool that thought crossed my mind as it’s like it loses connection but it’s weird taking the relay out let’s it turn. Can’t find much info about what it doing.

Thanks
Nkxtc
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby fortyeight » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:25 pm

bad earth
fortyeight
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Nkxtc » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:46 pm

I also thought that so tried a jump lead form negative terminal to the engine block and no difference. One earth at the crossmember has a green build up and the one on starter had lot of oil from the leak tried sole brake cleaner and they seem cleaner but not any more luck
Nkxtc
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Nkxtc » Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:47 pm

Little update after AA looked at it with no luck and ended with a recovery now garage has it. Wasn’t the ignition switch as one was tried but no different. All fuses and earth wirings checked still nothing. Can’t connect a computer to it as no ignition. It’s now looking ominous and garage say could well be dash at fault. If so vans probably getting scrapped as not worth the cost due to Ford would need code it to van. Unless anyone any other ideas? Engine turns over still if remove relay R5 but not when it’s in. Won’t fire up but I presume with no ignition immobiliser not allowing it. Relay been tested it’s fine.

Has everyone stumped so far...
Nkxtc
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby albhoy78 » Tue May 17, 2022 12:17 pm

Hi there did the garage get the root of the problem?
Have the exact same diagnosis with my mk7
albhoy78

Postby knobby1 » Wed May 18, 2022 9:46 am

Nkxtc wrote:Little update after AA looked at it with no luck and ended with a recovery now garage has it. Wasn’t the ignition switch as one was tried but no different. All fuses and earth wirings checked still nothing. Can’t connect a computer to it as no ignition. It’s now looking ominous and garage say could well be dash at fault. If so vans probably getting scrapped as not worth the cost due to Ford would need code it to van. Unless anyone any other ideas? Engine turns over still if remove relay R5 but not when it’s in. Won’t fire up but I presume with no ignition immobiliser not allowing it. Relay been tested it’s fine.

Has everyone stumped so far...

If it was the immobilizer, it wouldn't turn over. Dash doesn'tneed coding.

Have you replced the ignition switch..??

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Nkxtc » Wed May 18, 2022 1:15 pm

albhoy78 wrote:Hi there did the garage get the root of the problem?
Have the exact same diagnosis with my mk7

Nah garage couldn’t get it I ended up figuring it out myself.

Turned out the instrument cluster wasn’t receiving power properly. Had supply 12v to fuse then add a switch and van started fine after that.

If you need detailed instructions I can dig it out exactly what I did later on
Nkxtc
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby albhoy78 » Sun May 22, 2022 7:08 pm

If you have the time could you send me what you have done,much appreciated I’m loosing the will to live trying to fix mine
albhoy78

Postby Nkxtc » Sun May 22, 2022 7:31 pm

albhoy78 wrote:If you have the time could you send me what you have done,much appreciated I’m loosing the will to live trying to fix mine

Yeah sure pm me your number n il dig it out as mechanic actually asked me a few months how i did it so I’m sure I have a WhatsApp of it somewhere or I could upload it here whatever easier for you.

It was the most frustrating thing it took me four attempts to figure it out and the garage to have it for a fortnight so I feel your pain. Hopefully it same issue.
Nkxtc
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Benjimwb » Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:15 pm

Hey would you be able to give me the details on how you fixed this, I have the exact same problem!
Benjimwb

Postby Nkxtc » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:09 pm

PM me your number and il forward you a whatsapp of what worked for me
Nkxtc
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Altransit » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:02 pm

Nkxtc wrote:PM me your number and il forward you a whatsapp of what worked for me

Are you able to post up the cure on here :?:
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby Nkxtc » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:26 pm

I could kind of but would need edit it all so it made sense as pictures would need re referenced. But if a pain on phone. I shall give it a try without pictures.

Basically it’s fuse 66 isn’t getting a constant live feed so the van fails to start or turn.

Way to test is stick a light probe into that fuse then watch what happens when you try turning it over. If light stays on it’s not the same issue. If it off or intermittent it’s causing the key to not be recognised I think. A broken wire between fuse 66 and ignition barrel or something.

It’s the intermittent that throws you off I saw a light when I first tested it and presumed it ok.

Once you happy it is that get a live feed to a switch then the feed from that to the fuse using a piggyback holder. You need this kill switch or the engine won’t go off even after turning the key back.

I can go into it a bit more by forwarding messages if that isn’t clear enough but hopefully it’s enough to get you going.
Nkxtc
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Next

Return to Technical Problems & Questions