*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Replace radiator 2.3 petrol/ plus mystery oil leak

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Replace radiator 2.3 petrol/ plus mystery oil leak

Postby Evom » Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:18 am

Any tips on replacing a radiator on a 2.3 petrol, 2001 transit manual van? Looks like it comes out underneath once a panel is removed (correct?).

Also have an oil leak coming from behind the engine up high. Already had the rocker cover gasket replaced. Hard to see back there but maybe there’s a switch or something right at the back?

Cheers Braintrust!
Evom
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Replace radiator 2.3 petrol/ plus mystery oil leak

Postby madmart132 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:46 pm

I think you got to take the whole front off to take the radiator out ,not sure on the oil leak though
madmart132
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Altransit » Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:16 pm

I've only removed a diesel one, and for that, I just removed the top plate on the front panel (slam panel) I seem to remember that it just lifts out of the bottom mounting.
Again, not sure how similar the petrol version will be :?
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby Evom » Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:40 pm

madmart132 wrote:I think you got to take the whole front off to take the radiator out ,not sure on the oil leak though

No you don’t have to. I have now replaced it by lowering it out from the bottom after taking off the electric fans then removing the bottom drip tray and support panel. Was a bit tricky with the oil cooler attached but managed to free it and support it with a tie down strap. Maybe removing it from the top is possible too but looked way more involved :D
Evom
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Evom » Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:51 am

Update. For anyone reading yes you can remove the radiator from underneath on a petrol 2.3 engine. Oil leak still an issue and could be the rocker cover although I had it replaced. I also suspect some leaking from bolt holes holding on the rear sensor plate as I got a friend to photograph a removed engine and there seems to be an Ellen key plug of some type in an adjacent threaded hole. Why there would be bolt holes going in to the head that aren’t blanked is a mystery. I’ve added his photo and circled where I think my oil leak is on my engine
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Evom
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Technical Problems & Questions