*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Battery Charging

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Battery Charging

Postby angbobian » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:35 pm

I have a Ford Tourneo 2.0 2019 and been told by Ford i have to take battery out to charge it or at least disconnet the Cables from Terminals surley it can be charge from the Engine Battery Terminals can anyone confirm i can use engine terminals
Also how do i find out if i have Mrk 7 or 8.............. Tourneo Custom 2019, 2.0 EcoBlue
|Thank for any help
Ian
angbobian

Re: Battery Charging

Postby andz327 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:09 pm

Would say is neither 7 or an 8 as its a custom, why are you needing to charge the battery?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby V184 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:50 am

andz327 wrote:Would say is neither 7 or an 8 as its a custom, why are you needing to charge the battery?

Maybe its flat :wink:
V184
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Altransit » Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:00 am

angbobian wrote: can anyone confirm i can use engine terminals

Yes, perfectly fine so long as you use a trickle or smart charger.
If you only have a high power fast charger, you need to disconnect the battery to protect the vehicle electrics.

angbobian wrote:Also how do i find out if i have Mrk 7 or 8.............. Tourneo Custom 2019, 2.0 EcoBlue
|Thank for any help
Ian

As said above, you have a Transit Custom, which is a different van to either a Mk7 or Mk8.
The Tourneo is a passenger carrying version of the Custom Van :)
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby angbobian » Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:17 am

Thanks for responces reason for battery charge is its a disabillity Van and has a switch at back for some hooks that once conected to wheel chair need to be locked just found out this needs to be in off position all the time unless it being used as it drains battery So now stop start does not work as battery is only 40% charged been told it needs to be 60/70% charge to work
angbobian

Postby Altransit » Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:59 pm

I have a fly lead attached to each of my batteries, so I can plug in a smart charger from time to time. I don't drive the van enough to keep them topped up, but I do unlock it several times a day which runs the battery down.

BatteryChargerConnector (3).JPG

BatteryChargerConnector (2).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby angbobian » Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:18 pm

andz327 wrote:Would say is neither 7 or an 8 as its a custom, why are you needing to charge the battery?

Hi Still awaiting your reply on why i need to charge mate or were you just asking why ?
Cheers
angbobian

Postby angbobian » Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:20 pm

Altransit wrote:I have a fly lead attached to each of my batteries, so I can plug in a smart charger from time to time. I don't drive the van enough to keep them topped up, but I do unlock it several times a day which runs the battery down.

What are these cables what are they called and were to get them please have not been able to see pictures untill today so did not reply
Cheers
angbobian

Postby angbobian » Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:25 pm

Just an update on this took van to Ford as still under warrenty they did over night test on battery and told me as its a Disabillity van the winch is drainging the battery another reason why i need to keep it topped up as also dont cover enough miles to keep charged up i just dont want to keep dismantling everything to get to battery to charge it. Again been told by ford to disconet cables from battery before charge there must be a safe and easy way to charge
Cheers
angbobian

Postby angbobian » Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:28 pm

Altransit wrote:I have a fly lead attached to each of my batteries, so I can plug in a smart charger from time to time. I don't drive the van enough to keep them topped up, but I do unlock it several times a day which runs the battery down.

What are these cables what are they called and were to get them please have not been able to see pictures untill today so did not reply
Cheers
angbobian

Postby MinorMatt » Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:50 pm

Those cables would come (or be adapted) from a battery charger.

You need to choose the battery charger and get the appropriate cables/connectors
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

95 M Prototype/Mule DRW 100PS Highcube
93 L GL Minibus
96 P 150 TD 100PS LWB Hi-Top

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Altransit » Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:10 pm

angbobian wrote:

What are these cables what are they called and were to get them please have not been able to see pictures until today so did not reply
Cheers

Those are connecting leads for a ctek smart charger. I have two of them, the other ends are connected to the battery terminals, one lead on each. They have LED indicators to show the state of charge, and the charger simply plugs into the connector to charge either battery, usually just the AUX battery though. I just feed a mains lead through the door or partially open window, and leave the charger to do its job overnight.
BatteryChargerConnections1.JPG

CIMG7280.JPG

CIMG7278.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby angbobian » Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:36 pm

Altransit wrote:
angbobian wrote:

What are these cables what are they called and were to get them please have not been able to see pictures until today so did not reply
Cheers

Those are connecting leads for a ctek smart charger. I have two of them, the other ends are connected to the battery terminals, one lead on each. They have LED indicators to show the state of charge, and the charger simply plugs into the connector to charge either battery, usually just the AUX battery though. I just feed a mains lead through the door or partially open window, and leave the charger to do its job overnight.
BatteryChargerConnections1.JPG

CIMG7280.JPG

CIMG7278.JPG

But i have been told by Ford i must disconect the battery from the Van not take it out just disconect it hence my 1st question Do You Need |To Disconnect The Battry terminals
yes connecting the way you do makes sence but if i have to still remove terminals it would be pointless to connect leads for charger when i need to dismantle every thing to remove terminals
All I need to know is it safe to use a charger when battery terminals are still connected to battery Thanks for all your help
angbobian

Postby Altransit » Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:02 pm

angbobian wrote:But i have been told by Ford i must disconect the battery from the Van not take it out just disconect it hence my 1st question Do You Need |To Disconnect The Battry terminals
yes connecting the way you do makes sence but if i have to still remove terminals it would be pointless to connect leads for charger when i need to dismantle every thing to remove terminals
All I need to know is it safe to use a charger when battery terminals are still connected to battery Thanks for all your help

Maybe read my first reply then :?:
Altransit wrote:
angbobian wrote: can anyone confirm i can use engine terminals

Yes, perfectly fine so long as you use a trickle or smart charger.
If you only have a high power fast charger, you need to disconnect the battery to protect the vehicle electrics.
Altransit
Site Moderator

Return to Technical Problems & Questions