*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Engine Swap

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Engine Swap

Postby jinkyjinx » Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:28 am

I have an opportunity to buy a 2005 Transit that has had an engine replacement with 2001Transit engine.

Details of old engine:
2005 DURA TORQ TDCI 2.4 turbo diesel

Engine currently installed details:
2001 DURATORQ DI 2.4 turbo diesel

I've been told that fuel pump and ecu will need to be changed to get the 2001 engine running.

Has anyone had any experience with this type of engine change and if possible some advice on the best approach to get the vehicle up and running.

I'm new to the world of transits but it's a very interesting world I'm discovering
I'm just a an old guy havin' a go :)
jinkyjinx

Re: Engine Swap

Postby knobby1 » Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:17 pm

jinkyjinx wrote:I have an opportunity to buy a 2005 Transit that has had an engine replacement with 2001Transit engine.

Details of old engine:

I've been told that fuel pump and ecu will need to be changed to get the 2001 engine running.

Has anyone had any experience with this type of engine change and if possible some advice on the best approach to get the vehicle up and running.

I'm new to the world of transits but it's a very interesting world I'm discovering

Do I understand you correctly.??...The TDDi engine has been fitted already, replacing the TDCi engine..??

As you mention, fuel systems, pump & injectors, plumbing etc, PCM and turbo etc are different between the TDCi and TDDi. Can be done but can be a bit of a ballache.

Did the 2001 TDDi engine currently fitted come complete with fuel accessories, turbo, PCM, clutch assembly, engine loom and possibly the dash loom etc..?? Which PS rating is it..?? 75, 90, 115, 120 or 125..?? If you don't have a fuel pump and injectors fitted, the fuel pump and injectors for the TDDi will differ depending on what PS it is. The pump can be either a VP-30 for the 75 & 90ps or a VP-44 for the higher ps engines.

The TDCi engine would have had a 6 speed gearbox, the TDDi would normally be a 5 speed, the flywheel, clutch and slave will be different between the two. Is the same 6 speed gearbox staying in the vehicle..?? I'm not real sure of their "interchangeability".?

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby bambi mk 1 » Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:54 pm

Leave it where it is, it will be a nightmare unless you have a donor van with 5 speed gearbox, abs, digidash ect.
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby knobby1 » Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:18 am

bambi mk 1 wrote:Leave it where it is, it will be a nightmare unless you have a donor van with 5 speed gearbox, abs, digidash ect.

I think he's already fitted the TDDi engine....as you mention...will be a right nightmare.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby jinkyjinx » Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:38 am

knobby1 wrote:
bambi mk 1 wrote:Leave it where it is, it will be a nightmare unless you have a donor van with 5 speed gearbox, abs, digidash ect.

I think he's already fitted the TDDi engine....as you mention...will be a right nightmare.

Lord Knobrot

Thanks mate appreciate the info and advice ... a nightmare is not what I need
I'm just a an old guy havin' a go :)
jinkyjinx

Postby bambi mk 1 » Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:44 am

knobby1 wrote:

Lord Knobrot

There must be different grammar down under, read the op again a couple of times, have and had have two different meanings :wink: :mrgreen:
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby paul2012 » Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:53 pm

jinkyjinx wrote:I have an opportunity to buy a 2005 Transit that has had an engine replacement with 2001Transit engine.

Details of old engine:

Engine Conversion from

2005 DURA TORQ TDCI 2.4 turbo diesel to 2001 DURATORQ DI 2.4 turbo diesel.

Yes it can be done. BUT it would be easier using a donor van. :idea:
2007 Ford Mondeo mk4 1.8 TDCI -RETROFIT IN PROGRESS
2009 Jaguar X-Type 2.0D
2010 Vauxhall Insignia- RETROFIT IN PROGRESS

IDS & GM GDS2 services

SUBSCRIBE http://www.youtube.com/@PaulsTechChannel
paul2012
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Technical Problems & Questions