*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mark 7 lwb 2.4 rwd

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Mark 7 lwb 2.4 rwd

Postby Beechams » Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:09 pm

Hello help needed my van keeps cutting out mark 7 2.4 lwb rwd
Get on the motorway and it’s fine until you change gear or slow down but soon as I come off it cuts out if I start in a morning it’s fine till reaches temperature then starts to cut out flick key off and back on and she’s away again I’ve changed fuel filter and camshaft sensor I’m waiting for crankshaft sensor I’ve checked connection on batteries I’ve bought a elm but dropped my laptop so I’m looking for some basic things to check if anyone can help it’s appreciated
Beechams
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Mark 7 lub 2.4 rwd

Postby knobby1 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:32 am

Beechams wrote:Hello help needed my van keeps cutting out mark 7 2.4 lwb rwd
Get on the motorway and it’s fine until you change gear or slow down but soon as I come off it cuts out if I start in a morning it’s fine till reaches temperature then starts to cut out flick key off and back on and she’s away again I’ve changed fuel filter and camshaft sensor I’m waiting for crankshaft sensor I’ve checked connection on batteries I’ve bought a elm but dropped my laptop so I’m looking for some basic things to check if anyone can help it’s appreciated

Unfortunately you'll need to get the codes read as throwing parts at it in the hope it might fix it is very costly and time consuming.

SCV and PRV are a common fail on them but you'll need to do the learns after fitting them....EGR & ignition switch are also common fail.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Beechams » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:34 am

Thanks for reply appreciate it someone has looked at it there’s no codes come up he says he replaced the ignition switch and away I went got on motorway home it was fine then when I got off motorway it started again so I rang them they said try fuel filter I did then camshaft sensor I have there was a loose negative on battery I did that but still the same
Beechams
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:10 pm

Beechams wrote:Thanks for reply appreciate it someone has looked at it there’s no codes come up he says he replaced the ignition switch and away I went got on motorway home it was fine then when I got off motorway it started again so I rang them they said try fuel filter I did then camshaft sensor I have there was a loose negative on battery I did that but still the same

Cutting out when coming to junctions and stop signs etc is often the SCV sticking....They don't usually throw a code unless there's an electrical problem with them. They're essentially a variable voltage solenoid sliding fuel valve. Pop the fuel line off the PRV and see if there's a silly amount of fuel coming out at idle....they can be wet but not dripping or flowing. Failing that, pull it out and see if it's in pieces, if so, she's done for.

Best to replace SCV and the PRV as a pair and then do the learns.

Lord Knobrot

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Beechams » Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:30 am

Thanks I’ll have a look today
Beechams
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Mark 7 lwb 2.4 rwd

Postby Beechams » Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:15 pm

Well after someone who apparently knows mark 7 transit has had a look at why it’s cutting out and there’s no codes
I’ve had a new ignition switch a camshaft sensor a crankshaft sensor a fuel filter a temperature sensor and guess what it’s still cutting out when it reaches temperature
Beechams
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Beechams » Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:17 pm

It’s like someone has turned it off then just flick key off and back on and it’s away again
Beechams
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:58 am

Beechams wrote:It’s like someone has turned it off then just flick key off and back on and it’s away again

SCV & PRV...as mentioned previously. Live data on Forscan or IDS will tell you what is going on. What is the idle fuel rail pressure..??

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Beechams » Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:18 am

I’ve no idea my mate is going to pull the pipe off today as you said to see if it’s leaking
Beechams
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Beechams » Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:21 am

I’ve ordered forscan tool and registered it put haven’t got a clue what I’m doing so a friend is going to have a look today he said same as you stop spending money trying different parts so hopefully he will sort it for me I don’t have a clue
Beechams
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Beechams » Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:00 pm

Took pipe off prv and no leaking was diesel there but not coming out
Beechams
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:56 pm

Beechams wrote:Took pipe off prv and no leaking was diesel there but not coming out

The PRV can be wet but not dripping or flow. So yours may be OK.

Often a set of learns will help. The SCV's can and do stick in their bores, (hysteresis), which is what causes the "hunting" at idle. They're just a variable voltage sliding solenoid valve, the valve bore and OD wears/scores over time and causes grief. Clean fuel is the best protection against long term failure...regular filter changes help greatly. Sometimes if the SCV fails open it will take the PRV with it which is why we normally recommend they be replaced as a pair.

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Beechams » Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:19 pm

Thanks for your help hopefully I can get the learns done I was going to take scv out and try and have a look at it but it looks a nightmare of a job
Beechams
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:36 am

Beechams wrote:Thanks for your help hopefully I can get the learns done I was going to take scv out and try and have a look at it but it looks a nightmare of a job

Yep...a right ballache to get at on the RWD's.

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Jim Archer » Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:30 pm

Beechams wrote:Well after someone who apparently knows mark 7 transit has had a look at why it’s cutting out and there’s no codes
I’ve had a new ignition switch a camshaft sensor a crankshaft sensor a fuel filter a temperature sensor and guess what it’s still cutting out when it reaches temperature

Given that you've just thown bits at it, but not changed the usual cause - SCV - I'd suggest he apparently doesn't know Mk7s ...

Jim
Mk7 140 Jumbo - Vantunered.
289,000 and counting.
Jim Archer
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Next

Return to Technical Problems & Questions