*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Transit connect 1.8tdci power loss , Black smoke

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Transit connect 1.8tdci power loss , Black smoke

Postby sullydog » Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:21 am

Hi
My son has a 2009 1.8tdci. About 67k on clock
Had it about 4 months and was running brill
About month ago he gave it a service, oil, filter and air filter
Took ages to bleed fuel through.
Seemed ok for a week or so
Now blowing lots of smoke on any acceleration, also drops into limp mode occasionally above 3k revs
Couple of fault codes pointing us at airflow and temp sensors. Changed sensors
No real difference
Then a lamp on dashboard that I can only describe as a cog with an exclamation mark in it.
2 days ago went into limp mode again but no codes or dashboard lights
Lots of residue around the air pipes on top of engine.

Then we noticed a small diameter pipe had popped off a small circular device just to the lbs of the engine
It has 2 pipes to it , looks like a vacuum device or a differential pressure device

All the above suggests a pressure build up due to a blockage somewhere??

Can’t believe this has not been seen before?

Anyone have similar problems or any assistance please?

Many thanks for reading.
Kel
sullydog

Re: Transit connect 1.8tdci power loss , Black smoke

Postby Chef » Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:15 pm

This is not exactly the same as my car had but a lot of it sounds simular...
in the beginning changing of fuel filter, intercooler, map sensor, checking turbo and pipes but did not fix it (yours might have some air problem)
than it was the exhaust and for some reason the dpf was changed and yes basically everything in the exhaust instead of just taking off the exhaust and take it for ride and see if it looses power.. than all the vacum system was tested and fixed... nothing had changed at that point, my friend took it in and found out that the map sensor for air in the angine was stuck in 88% , I bought new one and than than all problems when the car was taking off went away and got really good but expensive to trow out all these parts for no reason.,, than it went to ford and I said it needed to be fixed and not change just something to check.. they opened up the engine and found out had one of the solid lifters (valve controls from camshaft) broken so it did not function properly... but that did not change anything wich is weird because I had a car with broken valve and it was unusable...
after that was fixed the problem rate went down (which mostly bothers me while the car is cold, just after I start, and sometimes even if it is hot when I start it)
it was suggested to me that the injectors might be leaking and therefor to much diesel was filling up when the car was off, it was checked but was ok but quite a few smaller engine transit have this problem.
than changing egr, seals on back of the engine and pipe..
than the problem was that glow plugs where bad, fixing them made the car run much better cold because it has also afterburner, so that the glow plugs are on after you start the engine to get co2 down, but does not quite fix the problem mine is having and in the end the ford in my country just said the engine is ruined and needs to be replaced... I have driven it in this condition 14000 miles and milage today is 62000 miles total..
So my advise is start by checking the way from outside to the engine, each pipe and look through it or blow bacause animals and insects might do some clogging, than check vacuum if any pipe is broken, fuel filter, egr, dpf filter, or just exhaust road, map sensor just by the air intake, open engine and check camshaft and valves, checck if the oil fill stick is very black, than it might be the pressure is getting down to the cellar, try opening the oil fill cap and see if the pressure is stuck inside the engine, put something over so oil will not spray out from it... and yes I hopefully also got some ideas going for assistant on alike problems =)
Chef

Re: Transit connect 1.8tdci power loss , Black smoke

Postby sullydog » Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:39 am

Hi chief
Thanks for the reply.
I hope my sons van doesn’t have all of the issues that yours has had.
At the moment we are removing all intercooler pipes,one at a time, to check the conditions

We have found one the has split in it. A new one will arrive on Wednesday.
I’ll let you know if it improves the van.
Thanks again
sullydog

Return to Technical Problems & Questions