*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Head Gasket Failure?

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Head Gasket Failure?

Postby Dan5891 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:59 pm

Hi,
I have a 2003 Tddi, 2.4 75bhp. Starts OK but runs rough like a misfire at idle, a bit better after revving a bit. Appears to have a white smoke in the exhaust. Take the oil filler cap off and can see a bit of white smoke coming out. Slight trace of oil in expansion tank, although no bubbles that I could see. Before I conclude it's the head gasket, is there anything else it could be on this engine?

Cheers

Dan
Dan5891

Re: Head Gasket Failure?

Postby knobby1 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:13 pm

Oil in coolant is usually the oil cooler blown internally. EGR cooler failure often causes white smoke in the exhaust, does the exhaust smell "sweet".??

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Re: Head Gasket Failure?

Postby Dan5891 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:51 am

Thanks for reply. I read about the EGR coolers failing but I'm not sure mine actually has one. Its a 2003. Exhaust does smell different, not overly sweet. The extent of the white smoke isn't that bad at the moment. All this suddenly happened while my van was idling on my driveway when I was warming the engine up before doing an oil change. It just suddenly sounded like a misfire and with more vibration than usual. Haven't driven it since as it isn't a main vehicle, was bit worried about causing further damage.
Dan5891

Return to Technical Problems & Questions