*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk7 2.2 No Ignition/Engine cranking -Engine Malfunction

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Mk7 2.2 No Ignition/Engine cranking -Engine Malfunction

Postby nigelfish » Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:41 pm

Evening All
I have a Mk7 2.2 diesel based campervan -converted from new.
Had a problem for the past few weeks where i put key in ignition and usually at this point i hear doors lock when i turn key but there not doing and i have to ignition -lights come on but engine wont turn over and then a few seconds later engine malfunction light comes on and a load of ticking (relays?) clattering from it seems under the dash on the passenger side .normally i can try the key 7 or 8 times and then i hear the doors lock and the engine cranks and starts fine but today its not cranking at all after repeated attempts. A local garage who i spoke to suggested could be a clocks fault but they dont do electrics. I am supposed to be going for a run next week but until i get this sorted im not risking getting stranded in the middle of nowhere.
Anybody had similar issues or suggest how i can find whats wrong or suggest a mobile auto electrician -im based in Brigg North Lincolnshire.
Thanks in advance
nigelfish

Re: Mk7 2.2 No Ignition/Engine cranking -Engine Malfunction

Postby Chug » Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:36 pm

Faulty ignition switch is a common fault, the bit that goes on the back of the key barrel, about £20 new and easy to swap, and if it has two batteries the aux battery could be poorly.
1991(J) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
1994(L) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Re: Mk7 2.2 No Ignition/Engine cranking -Engine Malfunction

Postby nigelfish » Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:42 am

Thanks for reply i will check that -came to van this morning started first time -im sure ive read somewhere from someone with similar problem they said leave for 30 mins and try and usually it starts -not sure why that would be -taking a look at van this morning!
nigelfish

Return to Technical Problems & Questions