*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

New buyer rust question

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

New buyer rust question

Postby neildsimpson » Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:14 am

I'm currently looking to buy my first Transit. I've been scouting about for 2017/2018 models (last of the old model - with all of the problems fixed hopefully!). I've found that some of them have quite a bit of rust - back door hinges, sill, top of the windscreen. But others have no sign at all. Anyone know the likely reason for the difference - could it be to do with whether they have been washed or not? I read somewhere that the 'plain' white paint rusts because it's poor quality, but other colours (including "frozen white"?) don't rust. I'm pretty worried about the state of some of them I've seen which are only four years old. Any and all advice welcome, thanks!
neildsimpson

Re: New buyer rust question

Postby Brettbear63 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:32 am

It may depend on the vehicle location , Dealers ship cars around the country , you may look at a van in London which has spent all its life around Brighton sea front ,so Salty air , hence rusty bits lots of cheap cars/vans are actually those which are moved from car supermarkets to wherever , I bought my van in Bristol but it was actually sold in Exeter originally and had lived all its life in Cornwall .
Brettbear63
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: New buyer rust question

Postby metalworker0 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:32 pm

Just done a search ...frozen white is clear over base - so is lacquered ..perhaps that helps.

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Return to Technical Problems & Questions