*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Injector Programming Fail

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Injector Programming Fail

Postby Ashley S » Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:54 pm

Hello,

My mechanic is having a problem with my Injector programming.. all the codes are correct but the light stays on the dash and it's running quite loud Transit MK7 2.2 115BHP 2011.
Getting a lot of blue/grey smoke of a night time when car headlights are behind me I can see it.

I have had 4 reconditioned Injectors they aren't the originals ones the guy who reconditions the Injectors told me these one I have in my engine are fine, my mechanic has done a leak off test and all the Injectors are good.. near enough all level.
I have had NEW Pressure Relief Valve, High Pressure Regulator Sensor, Fuel Pump Suction Control Valve.

I have two mechanics looking at my van, both can't seem to find the fault.
Mechanics gets an Error 93 when trying to do the programming part or the learn part..

I am worried with the Injectors not programming it'll damage my piston, over fuelling?
Anyone have any ideas, been in and out the garage for nearly 2 months it's starting to cost me quite a bit now.

Thanks. :)
Ashley S
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Injector Programming Fail

Postby loot » Sat Dec 25, 2021 12:06 am

Hi mate.
The injectors firstly need to be programed to the vehicle using the correction factors.

I'm always wary of reconditioned injectors because in theory only denso themselves can service them to give me correction factors. Other reconditioners can't reproduce the correction factors and just say install them and don't program or use the original correction factors.

Next the prv and scv items are available cheap and these are often no good they don't allow the fuel pump learn and injector pilot learn to work.

So a costly exercise but the only reliable 1 is 4 known good injectors or new ones, and scv /prv from Ford.

But this may also not allow for wiring fault, air ingress, leaks etc.

Cheapest way is to have a good donor vehicle the same spec to swap things over to make sure.

Cost, 4 copper washers and 2 injector clamp bolts and programming time.

Injectors from Ford are 300 each at a guess. And the prv/scv 300 at a guess too.

Leak off test is a good indicator on original injectors.

The region got who I'm sure does a good job may have done something wrong. There's a half moon ball in there that can turn out the shims etc need correctly tightening plus there needs to be a clean environment plus expensive equipment. Some use a vice in an pilot workshop and spray to blow them out etc.

I won't use recon unless I'm absolutely convinced they are reputable.
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby Ashley S » Sat Dec 25, 2021 12:20 am

Hi mate,
The prv and scv are brand and costed me £300.
The part on the fuel pump is brand new as well.

My van went in with a starting problem in the morning I had to put the clutch down to start the van with a cold engine when it was warm it was fine, I got the old injectors tested and came back with two injectors damaged reason why fuel was going back into the fuel tank and taking a while to start the van other than that the engine was very quite now it's loud the 4 injectors I have in the van now are good so it's just the programming part, learning.

Van starts fine now. My van went in the garage with no light on the dash came back out with the light on the dash because it's not the original injectors that was built with the van.

I am worried my perfectly fine engine which gets serviced every 5,000 miles will get damaged.

I have had the ecu tested and came back fine, so it's the communication between the injectors and ecu you mentioned a broken wire I've checked are the plugs and there's no damaged wire unless it's in the loom somewhere.

I'm out of ideas and so is my mechanic who has now mentioned to get an auto electrian involved.
Ashley S
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:19 am

As Loot mentions, the injectors need to be coded in correctly and the learns "must" be completed successfully or it will never run properly.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Ashley S » Sat Dec 25, 2021 2:37 pm

When you mention correct factors is that the code on top of the injectors for the programming?
Ashley S
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Sat Dec 25, 2021 9:09 pm

Ashley S wrote:When you mention correct factors is that the code on top of the injectors for the programming?

Yes, it's a 16 digit correction factor code, each injector has an individual number. No two injectors are the same even though they share the same part numbers. This number tells the PCM the calibration of that injector and how long the injector should be opened for during the pilot and main injection cycles.

Likewise with the pump, SCV and PRV. This is why the learns need to be done when replacing any fuel component.

Lord Knobrot

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Ashley S » Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:36 pm

knobby1 wrote:
Ashley S wrote:When you mention correct factors is that the code on top of the injectors for the programming?

Yes, it's a 16 digit correction factor code, each injector has an individual number. No two injectors are the same even though they share the same part numbers. This number tells the PCM the calibration of that injector and how long the injector should be opened for during the pilot and main injection cycles.

Likewise with the pump, SCV and PRV. This is why the learns need to be done when replacing any fuel component.

Lord Knobrot

Does the fuel pump, and SCV, PRV need learning before programming the injectors?
Ashley S
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Sun Dec 26, 2021 2:30 am

Ashley S wrote:
knobby1 wrote:

Lord Knobrot

Does the fuel pump, and SCV, PRV need learning before programming the injectors?

Pump learn first, then pilot/injection. SCV is done as part of the pump learn. PRV doesn't get calibrated as such, but it does have open and timed durations logged, these should be reset before starting the learns. It's basically just a relief valve and cracks open @ ~ 1600bar/23,200psi-ish...the PCM can see when this happens and will log the number and duration of each occurence.

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Jim Archer » Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:53 am

Ashley S wrote:

Injector coding.
Pump learn for SCV.
Pilot injector learn to set injector trim map/table.

Jim
Mk7 140 Jumbo - Vantunered.
289,000 and counting.
Jim Archer
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Ashley S » Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:41 pm

Transit 2.2 MK7 115BHP 2011. I was at the lights today with my van in neutral the engine started to shake a little and the revs starting moving up I have to put my clutch down for it to go back to 800 revs. Bare in mind I have a problem with my Injectors not programming, learning etc. Mechanic is not interested I've paid him £800 for recondition injectors and a brand new PRV and SCV cost me £300 from Fords. I have a lot of white/grey smoke at night time and if I go on a long motorway run in 6th gear and when I give it a boot there's a lot of black smoke. I have been told my engine is not running right with the injectors I have installed on the engine it's over fuelling I've been told.. I am no means a mechanic. I am worried I might burn the piston if it's programmed and learned?
Ashley S
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:10 pm

Ashley S wrote:Transit 2.2 MK7 115BHP 2011. I was at the lights today with my van in neutral the engine started to shake a little and the revs starting moving up I have to put my clutch down for it to go back to 800 revs. Bare in mind I have a problem with my Injectors not programming, learning etc. Mechanic is not interested I've paid him £800 for recondition injectors and a brand new PRV and SCV cost me £300 from Fords. I have a lot of white/grey smoke at night time and if I go on a long motorway run in 6th gear and when I give it a boot there's a lot of black smoke. I have been told my engine is not running right with the injectors I have installed on the engine it's over fuelling I've been told.. I am no means a mechanic. I am worried I might burn the piston if it's programmed and learned?

You need to take it to someone who knows what they're looking at....or.....download Forscan and get yourself a modified ELM-327 and do it yourself.

Check to make sure the clutch switch is operating correctly.

Until the learns are completed successfully, it will "never" run properly.

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Ashley S » Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:13 pm

knobby1 wrote:
Ashley S wrote:Transit 2.2 MK7 115BHP 2011. I was at the lights today with my van in neutral the engine started to shake a little and the revs starting moving up I have to put my clutch down for it to go back to 800 revs. Bare in mind I have a problem with my Injectors not programming, learning etc. Mechanic is not interested I've paid him £800 for recondition injectors and a brand new PRV and SCV cost me £300 from Fords. I have a lot of white/grey smoke at night time and if I go on a long motorway run in 6th gear and when I give it a boot there's a lot of black smoke. I have been told my engine is not running right with the injectors I have installed on the engine it's over fuelling I've been told.. I am no means a mechanic. I am worried I might burn the piston if it's programmed and learned?

You need to take it to someone who knows what they're looking at....or.....download Forscan and get yourself a modified ELM-327 and do it yourself.

Check to make sure the clutch switch is operating correctly.

Until the learns are completed successfully, it will "never" run properly.

Lord Knobrot

Would it be best not to let it idle when I am not in the van? I am worried if it becomes a run away engine.
Ashley S
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:51 pm

Ashley S wrote:Would it be best not to let it idle when I am not in the van? I am worried if it becomes a run away engine.

Will only "runaway" if the turbo is shot and leaking a silly amount of oil into the inlet system.

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Ashley S » Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:20 pm

knobby1 wrote:
Ashley S wrote:Would it be best not to let it idle when I am not in the van? I am worried if it becomes a run away engine.

Will only "runaway" if the turbo is shot and leaking a silly amount of oil into the inlet system.

Lord Knobrot

I don't think the turbo is shot there's plenty of power in the turbo.
Ashley S
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:51 pm

Ashley S wrote:
knobby1 wrote:

Lord Knobrot

I don't think the turbo is shot there's plenty of power in the turbo.

No chance of it "running away" then.

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Technical Problems & Questions