*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

2014 transit connect starter not engaging flywheel

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

2014 transit connect starter not engaging flywheel

Postby gpandolfi » Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:56 am

2014 Transit Connect Wagon 2.5L LWB XLT model, 175,000 Miles, auto transmission, model has rear A/C, passenger van (non-cargo). While driving a couple of days ago, the van dropped out of gear but the engine continued to run. All dash lights came on while I coasted to a stop and the engine died. When I tried to crank it, the starter would spin but not engage the flywheel. I noticed the emergency flashers were barely working. I had to have it towed and the local shop won’t touch it saying it’s the starter and the engine has to be pulled to replace it. I took the battery out and had it tested and they said it is a dead cell so I bought a new one and installed it. All the dash lights are still coming on and the starter acts the same so I know it can’t be a voltage issue at least with the battery. The clock reset to 2014 so I have to believe that while the battery was disconnected for the hour or so that it took to go purchase a new one any power retained in the system drained out. Any help here would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
gpandolfi

Re: 2014 transit connect starter not engaging flywheel

Postby metalworker0 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:28 pm

Sorry, don't think many are familiar with the 2.5 engine in the transit connect.

Is it one of those engines that starts and stops automatically, if so; that's another thing not so many will be familiar with. as some of these have a motor as a flywheel. hi-tech and probably beyond the realms of and average mechanic.

If not, it could be this - a worn flywheel ring gear, flywheels always's stop in the same place, so the wear on them happens all in one place, once that starts to happen, the starter motor will not engage with the teeth of the flywheel, it's downhill all the way from that, you could prove this by turning the engine over about 90 degrees with a spanner and then trying to start it ...if it then engages and starts ..the flywheel is the culprit. if so then the flywheel has to be replaced.-a big job! there are ways and means to get it temporarily fixed - like taking the starter motor out and filing the ring gear teeth and shimming the pinion so it engages a little more - maybe then you'll get a few weeks or months, nothing more.

it could also be a duff starter motor.

but you have other faults, the lights on the dash go out and things generally don't work - this says to me you have a break in the wiring or a bad earth somewhere...so this should be checked out first.

all the best..mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Re: 2014 transit connect starter not engaging flywheel

Postby blue estate » Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:43 pm

metalworker0 wrote:Sorry, don't think many are familiar with the 2.5 engine in the transit connect.

Is it one of those engines that starts and stops automatically, if so; that's another thing not so many will be familiar with. as some of these have a motor as a flywheel. hi-tech and probably beyond the realms of and average mechanic.

If not, it could be this - a worn flywheel ring gear, flywheels always's stop in the same place, so the wear on them happens all in one place, once that starts to happen, the starter motor will not engage with the teeth of the flywheel, it's downhill all the way from that, you could prove this by turning the engine over about 90 degrees with a spanner and then trying to start it ...if it then engages and starts ..the flywheel is the culprit. if so then the flywheel has to be replaced.-a big job! there are ways and means to get it temporarily fixed - like taking the starter motor out and filing the ring gear teeth and shimming the pinion so it engages a little more - maybe then you'll get a few weeks or months, nothing more.

it could also be a duff starter motor.

but you have other faults, the lights on the dash go out and things generally don't work - this says to me you have a break in the wiring or a bad earth somewhere...so this should be checked out first.

all the best..mark
judging by time of posting it’s a USA one
72plt MG 5 ev estate Battery car
blue estate
Remapped by Vantuner

Return to Technical Problems & Questions