*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Euro 5 Smoking before and after injector seals replaced

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Euro 5 Smoking before and after injector seals replaced

Postby Big Chris » Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:47 am

Hi guys, hope you can shed a light on this for me.

Details - 2014 Mk8 Euro 5 Transit 2.2tdci FWD 310 Trend.

Ok school boy error on this one first of all... sorry up front about that.

So noticed my van was dropping a bit of oil before Christmas 21 (my mot is due 20th Jan 22 BTW). I only do 30 miles a day in my van 5 days a week so low mileage and I dont thrash it. Was checking the oil regular to keep an eye on it and figured I would get the guys to have a look at it in Jan at my mot as that wasn't that long to wait also keeping and eye on it making sure the oil is topped off if needed as it was not that serious then. I bought the van Jan 21. The first thing I did was put new mot on it and did an oil service, I always do that with my new vehicles, you just dont know with second hand.

Anyway the oil seemed fine up until new year then I noticed it started to drop only slightly more at first maybe 50ml a day, but steadily increasing over the next couple of weeks anyway kept checking the dip every time I travelled, sometimes it needed a bit, sometimes not. Did not drive the van for 9 days over Christmas / New Year. Back to work on 3rd Jan.
So the 20th came and it was in for the mot which it passed no problems. The guy said it nearly failed due to the oil leak so it was borderline pass. I said yes I know I need you to look at that for me and arranged for me to bring it back in a week to get looked at, I thought fine fair enough hes just passed it with minor oil leak it should be ok for the week till then. So thats what I did remembering to top it off with oil if it needed it.
So during that week I noticed it started to smoke a bit after it was warmed up for about 2 minutes and then cleared, all this time it was running perfect no problems apart from the occasional smoke and the bit of a oil leak, thought to be honest it may have been some oil dripping onto exhaust and burning off once to temp. Then one day a lot of smoke after 1 mile driving, I stopped straight away turned off and could see the smoke was coming from the exhaust IE engine, it was white with a very slight blue tinge to it but mostly white though and a funny burning smell but not like deisel, more like rubber plastic. This was not steam I had been checking the coolant every time I did the oil check (no coolant loss, no pressure build up, no mayo deposits in res or oil cap so Im guessing we can rule that out for now) temp gauge always bang in middle and slowly creeps up to temp from start.
I waited for the smoke to subside and checked the oil, it was a bit low just below half way, so called my dad to bring some oil on his way back from work to top it off which he did. I topped it off and started the van - No smoke, no running problems at all. I got my dad to follow me back to my work place a mile away to drop the van off and give me a lift back home as I wasn't risking driving it anymore until I knew what was happening with it.

So now Im vanless...

Next day I had a closer look at the van at work and trace the oil leak to the rocker cover... and I know straight away its the dreaded injector seals as there is oil pissing out of number 1 and number 3... but I also know it can be worse than this and need to investigate further... I decided its NOT going to the garage as I will get charged a fortune for doing an investigation first of all and then having them quote what ever they wanted on top of that to fix it knowing full well the van could not be moved after the engine was apart at the garage... So I decided to have a go at the job myself, Ive got some experience IE bmw head gasket replacement and skim I know thats petrol and this is deisel but I felt I could do it if I put my mind to it and took my time (also I have use of another van in meantime lucky b*stard)... and here I am now not so lucky lol...
And now the story unravels... and all my school boy errors become apparent... I know I know... and this is where I need your assistance if you would be so kind. First I removed the the injector's, all carboned up as expected but number 3 had oil on it all the way to the tip I meen it was wet hey!!! copper seals on 2 and 4 ok but needed replacing as there was some ware, 1 and 3 completely blacked and leaking, replaced all with genuine ford kit including new seal bolts (binned old ones). Injectors cleaned and seats cut and fresh copper seals and new rocker cover / gasket (overkill I know with cover but there you go).
Last but not least the OIL mystery, so I dumped the oil... Hmmm thats a lot of oil!... About 8L in fact... sh*t the dip stick was not reading right, clogged up maybe? dont know but its reading right now... Bloody hell what damage do you recon Ive done putting in too much oil then? Be kind...

Current status - Running and ticking over great I think anyway - BUT still have the smoke once at temp and pushed over 2500 rpm... think it may be turbo as its clean until its revved past 2000rpm, because I can start it for 20-30 minutes drive about at 1500-2000rpm no smoke but as soon as its up to heat and the turbo is used I get the smoke, it seems to subside after being left in idle but dont know as did not want to risk it any longer if further damage is done leaving it running.
Could it be the turbo dumping oil into the exhaust somehow and this getting burnt off? Any ideas?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance guys :D
Big Chris

Re: Euro 5 Smoking before and after injector seals replaced

Postby Big Chris » Sun May 01, 2022 5:01 pm

Any ideas on this one guys? :idea:
Big Chris

Postby Big Chris » Sun May 01, 2022 6:16 pm

Hi guys here's a link to a video of the van see for your self how its sounds and the smoke problem described above... cheers

https://youtu.be/gj2MLXgjUFg
Big Chris

Postby Big Chris » Tue May 03, 2022 3:49 pm

More video links to do with smoking

https://youtu.be/ipqE8xv7eUg

https://youtu.be/qxvlFGNxgMk

https://youtu.be/4d7DIrCIvlc

Give you an idea whats happening my end... can we rules out piston rings?
Big Chris

Postby metalworker0 » Tue May 03, 2022 4:47 pm

My only suggestion is: because you overfilled it, it dumped a lot of oil into the cat and the DPF ..which will make it continue smoking for a good while, take it for a long run , and see how it performs after that.
Probably worth while looking at the intake tubes and the intercooler , see if they have been drenched in oil from the engines breather system, before you do the run.

I don't know how it's possible to mis-read the dip stick.

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Big Chris » Tue May 03, 2022 6:38 pm

Thanks Mark your advice is sound its kinda what Im thinking of doing... now Im at this stage of things... no point freaking out just yet... yeah like I said about the dipstick only thing I can think is there was some sort of blockage there... normally pretty good with this type of thing... moral of the story is when your vehicle starts dripping oil STOP driving it straight away until you've sorted the problem... you live and learn hey... cheers
Big Chris

Postby metalworker0 » Tue May 03, 2022 8:06 pm

correct myself there, if it was a rover k-series ...some of those have black pips on the end of a yellow plastic dip stick

There was one guy once ..in a rover forum saying he had to keep topping up the oil every night and by the end of the week it had started smoking and blowing oil out, he thought the pip was the black oil and that's where the level was ..only he did not have black oil, his oil was clear, and he was checking in the dark, never heard from him a after that .

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Big Chris » Tue May 03, 2022 9:41 pm

Well as you know its deisel so the oil is as black as the ace of spades so I have no excuse lol :D
Big Chris

Postby metalworker0 » Wed May 04, 2022 11:08 am

BTW when you drained that oil , was there any water in it , usually indicated by the oil turning grey or a mustard colour with cleaner oil ..if so its the head gasket.

oil level going up is symptom of head gasket or leaky injectors overfueling from what i've read here ....that's if it wasn't you overfilling

all the best..mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Big Chris » Wed May 04, 2022 12:32 pm

SORRY LINKS ABOVE DID NOT LOAD PROPERLY HERE ARE THE NEW video links to do with the smoking

https://youtu.be/PuXhZeILCEw

https://youtu.be/Ow32EXK_w6E

https://youtu.be/cC9wJkLz6A0

Gives you an idea whats happening my end... Mark oil was black as can be... it did look a bit thin though and yes the copper seals had gone on at least 2 of the injector beds maybe letting deisel into cam that way... not sure if thats a thing though... been on the lookout for head gasket symptoms from the begining oil had no water in it or any sludge.

These should be loaded by afternoon on Youtube
Big Chris

Return to Technical Problems & Questions