*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Bad engine knocking

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Bad engine knocking

Postby Mick66 » Sun May 08, 2022 10:03 am

Hello, I have an 09 mk7, 2.4 duratorq transit rwd van. The van was driving great and not under heavy load on the mway when all of a sudden developed a loss of power, began vibrating until I slowed down and limped of the mway, a very loud engine noise started immediately, the van still runs and starts but the noise is very loud knocking. It will run although very ragged and loss of power like running on 3 cylinders. I have had the sump off and the cam is fine, the knocking is from the top and seems to be to the right. The front 2 injectors have been removed as these were replaced 1 year ago and seem ok. The 2 rear injectors I haven't touched yet as taking the power off the injectors one by one the van still starts and makes a loud knocking noise so after being told this check I assume that the injectors are not at fault. I have a video. I've been told diesel fuel pump can cause problems and a few other things, before I discard the engine I'd rather try a fix first if possible. Anyone have similar issues or ideas of the problem and a solution would be much appreciated. Thank you.
Mick66

Re: Bad engine knocking

Postby knobby1 » Sun May 08, 2022 8:23 pm

Mick66 wrote:Hello, I have an 09 mk7, 2.4 duratorq transit rwd van. The van was driving great and not under heavy load on the mway when all of a sudden developed a loss of power, began vibrating until I slowed down and limped of the mway, a very loud engine noise started immediately, the van still runs and starts but the noise is very loud knocking. It will run although very ragged and loss of power like running on 3 cylinders. I have had the sump off and the cam is fine, the knocking is from the top and seems to be to the right. The front 2 injectors have been removed as these were replaced 1 year ago and seem ok. The 2 rear injectors I haven't touched yet as taking the power off the injectors one by one the van still starts and makes a loud knocking noise so after being told this check I assume that the injectors are not at fault. I have a video. I've been told diesel fuel pump can cause problems and a few other things, before I discard the engine I'd rather try a fix first if possible. Anyone have similar issues or ideas of the problem and a solution would be much appreciated. Thank you.

You said you had the sump off and the cam is fine..?? This doesn't make sense as the cams are at the top of the engine and sump is at the bottom.?? I wonder if she hasn't thrown a rod by chance..??

Have you had the rocker cover off to check the cams and rockers, are the rockers themselves all still in their correct place?? They are known to fall to one side sometimes. If the rockers are all still in place she may have a bad small end piston bushing, not unheard of but does'nt usually cause lack of power, just a knocking noise.

The TDCi fuel pumps rarely fail.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby marc1234567 » Mon May 30, 2022 9:36 am

knobby1 wrote:
Mick66 wrote:Hello, I have an 09 mk7, 2.4 duratorq transit rwd van. The van was driving great and not under heavy load on the mway when all of a sudden developed a loss of power, began vibrating until I slowed down and limped of the mway, a very loud engine noise started immediately, the van still runs and starts but the noise is very loud knocking. It will run although very ragged and loss of power like running on 3 cylinders. I have had the sump off and the cam is fine, the knocking is from the top and seems to be to the right. The front 2 injectors have been removed as these were replaced 1 year ago and seem ok. The 2 rear injectors I haven't touched yet as taking the power off the injectors one by one the van still starts and makes a loud knocking noise so after being told this check I assume that the injectors are not at fault. I have a video. I've been told diesel fuel pump can cause problems and a few other things, before I discard the engine I'd rather try a fix first if possible. Anyone have similar issues or ideas of the problem and a solution would be much appreciated. Thank you.

You said you had the sump off and the cam is fine..?? This doesn't make sense as the cams are at the top of the engine and sump is at the bottom.?? I wonder if she hasn't thrown a rod by chance..??

Have you had the rocker cover off to check the cams and rockers, are the rockers themselves all still in their correct place?? They are known to fall to one side sometimes. If the rockers are all still in place she may have a bad small end piston bushing, not unheard of but does'nt usually cause lack of power, just a knocking noise.

Lord Knobrot

he probably means crank. presumably he has checked for play or other signs of damage. Can I ask ? thrown a rod means a connection rod has broken? That would be very obvious from looking at crank? if loss of power is related to a fault and he says feels like running on3 , is it worth disconnecting injector plug to isolate cylinder?
Previous mk 5 (2000) Luton body (2012-2013)

Mk 6 tddi 2.4 125ps RWD dropwell luton (2018 - present)
Mk 7 tdci 2.2 125ps RWD Luton / taillift (Aug 2021-present)
marc1234567
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby knobby1 » Mon May 30, 2022 10:33 am

marc1234567 wrote:
knobby1 wrote:

Lord Knobrot

he probably means crank. presumably he has checked for play or other signs of damage. Can I ask ? thrown a rod means a connection rod has broken? That would be very obvious from looking at crank? if loss of power is related to a fault and he says feels like running on3 , is it worth disconnecting injector plug to isolate cylinder?

Rods can't easily be seen from underneath with the sump off as the Transits have an aluminium "mid-sump" (Ford call it a stiffener) which covers most of the crankshaft etc. If they "throw a rod", they often knock a window (hole) through the block.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Technical Problems & Questions