*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Turbo Overboosting. Warning light

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Turbo Overboosting. Warning light

Postby thereverend » Sat May 28, 2022 11:42 am

Hello everyone and thank you in advance. Ive got a 2010 swb 2.2 Transit. The engine management light came on. The computer said it was an over boosting turbo. It was reset and the light went out only to come back on a few hundred miles later. I did the same again and the same happened. Any ideas please as to what I can do? thank you,
thereverend
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Turbo Overboosting. Warning light

Postby knobby1 » Sat May 28, 2022 12:05 pm

Probably the EGR valve stuck closed. A poorly EGR valve usually gives, overboost/underboost and map & maf fault codes.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby thereverend » Mon May 30, 2022 7:50 pm

i think i might have disconnected that. kept coming up as stuck. mmmm dunno what to do . ps thanks for replying
thereverend
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby knobby1 » Mon May 30, 2022 8:45 pm

thereverend wrote:i think i might have disconnected that. kept coming up as stuck. mmmm dunno what to do . ps thanks for replying

If the EGR valve is stuck open or closed ..or partially either, you'll usually get overboost/underboost and/or MAF/MAP sensor fault codes. The MAF and MAP sensors are expecting to see a certain amount of air flow and manifold pressure depending on RPM, throttle position, cyl head temp, load etc...if the EGR valve is closed when it should be open...or open when it should be closed, the flows and pressures will be outside what the sensors and PCM are expecting to see within a small %.... the PCM will then throw up a fault light/code and call for help.

This is why just blanking an EGR valve on the Mk7's is not helping much and will often send it into limp mode....getting it properly mapped out is the way to go...but then you run into issues with the authorities if caught by an anal inspector.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Technical Problems & Questions