*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

B1864 code and bad diesel knock.

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

B1864 code and bad diesel knock.

Postby 777Rav » Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:13 pm

Hi All,

I have an 04 Transit connect Tddi. I have only had it about 2 months and so far have had all manner of issues with it. The worst issue was a fried EDC on the fuel pump. I replaced that and coded it and the van has been running well since. However, today I started getting bad diesel knock, I pulled the van over and wiggled the wires to the solenoid on the pump and the van cut out. I can blame myself for this as it would appear my crimp connection had failed and the wire was not properly connected. The AA got me home on a tow truck and I read the codes (as the AA man couldn’t!!) I had B1864 (never had that before) P1664 and P1654 (both familiar to me from the last failure). I reconnected the bad wire, cleared the codes, only the P1664 and 1654 would clear and the van started. However I still have awful diesel knock!! And a code I can’t clear.

Anyone got any ideas of where to go with this next. Could the pump solenoid be knackered? There are 4 wires from the edc to the pump. The 2 thick ones go to the main solenoid, I’m assuming the 2 thin ones go to another solenoid. Got to be honest I’m not 100% sure how this pump functions. However, am I just being led down the garden path thinking the knock is related to the pump issue……..

Never have I owned such a problematic vehicle. If only the Japanese made more vans!!!!!!! :D
777Rav
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: B1864 code and bad diesel knock.

Postby knobby1 » Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:16 pm

Sounds like the timing solenoid may have failed, but you'll usually get a P0149 fault to go with it.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby 777Rav » Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:39 pm

I missed out a bit in this story as I didn’t want to bore everyone.

About a week ago I had an issue where I got diesel knock. I wasn’t sure what it was so just accelerated. The knock went away but I had no boost. So it was like driving a non turbo diesel. When I got home I read the codes and had the code you mention. I reset the code and started the van, it ran a bit rough to start with but then it was ok. I went for a test drive but 50 yards up the road noticed the diesel knock. I lifted the bonnet and wiggled the wires and the van quietened down. It has been ok since (maybe 100 miles since then).

I don’t have the P0149 code now which is what is puzzling me.

Is there any way of testing the solenoid?
777Rav
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:21 am

777Rav wrote:I missed out a bit in this story as I didn’t want to bore everyone.

About a week ago I had an issue where I got diesel knock. I wasn’t sure what it was so just accelerated. The knock went away but I had no boost. So it was like driving a non turbo diesel. When I got home I read the codes and had the code you mention. I reset the code and started the van, it ran a bit rough to start with but then it was ok. I went for a test drive but 50 yards up the road noticed the diesel knock. I lifted the bonnet and wiggled the wires and the van quietened down. It has been ok since (maybe 100 miles since then).

I don’t have the P0149 code now which is what is puzzling me.

Is there any way of testing the solenoid?

Easier to check the wiring. Timing solenoid either works or it doesn't.

Lord Knobrot.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby 777Rav » Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:47 am

How would I do this? Am I just looking for a 12v signal or is it something different coming off of the EDC?
777Rav
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby 777Rav » Sat Jul 16, 2022 11:41 am

An update.

I took all of the connections apart between the EDC and pump and re did them. They are now good.

I now have the B1864 code along with P0149 (pump solenoid) and P1564 (reduced fuelling due knock). I don’t really understand why I didn’t have these codes previously. I feel like I’m chasing my tail here!! Is there any benefit to running some diesel purge around the system before I go down the solenoid route? I have started the van a few times after resetting codes and sometimes it is definitely quieter, however after a minute or so or a little bit of revving the knock returns. I’m not getting much in the way of excess smoke either. Have tried cracking each injector too and that made no difference.

Any advice or suggestions much appreciated.
777Rav
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:34 am

If you have P0149 and P1564. The solenoid is done for.

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Technical Problems & Questions