*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

MK5 ABS no fluid pressure on front drivers side caliper

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

MK5 ABS no fluid pressure on front drivers side caliper

Postby the clock man » Sat Jul 16, 2022 12:46 pm

Hi Folks

Recently noticed occasional slight pull to the left when hitting the brakes.
Took drivers side wheel off and yep today brake not acuating with or without the engine running.
Checked nearside brake and it was fine with or without engine running.

Removed pipe union on caliper and no fluid being pushed out.
Checked output pipes on master cylinder and lots of pressure, also checked couple of other pipes on the ABS and lots of pressure.
Removed pipe form ABS that goes to the problem side and barely a movement of fluid let alone a decent squirt!

Am assuming that an internal solenoid in the ABS has failed and is stuck shut?
Have tried tapping the unit but just refuses to let more than the smallest dribble out.
Can these be serviced by / cleaned through by myslef? I am a competent mechanic just never worked on an ABS unit before.
I dont think the fuild has been changed for some time as recently replaced a rear wheel cylinder and fuid didnt look good so wonder if crud is the problem in the ABS unit.

Model is a MK5 Manual transit with 4DA engine 1994 model. Its also a motorhome not a standard van.
Thanks in advance for any pointers :)
the clock man
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: MK5 ABS no fluid pressure on front drivers side caliper

Postby MinorMatt » Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:17 am

I have seen this occur recently, and yes it was the ABS module. The owner ended up removing the ABS in the end
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

95 M Prototype/Mule DRW 100PS Highcube
93 L GL Minibus
96 P 150 TD 100PS LWB Hi-Top

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby the clock man » Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:10 am

MinorMatt wrote:I have seen this occur recently, and yes it was the ABS module. The owner ended up removing the ABS in the end

Thanks for reply, Yep I can see this going the same way, may have to see if I can strip the unit out and just use it as a manifold for the pipes to save making new ones up.
the clock man
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby metalworker0 » Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:32 am

Sometimes the flex hoses can break down internally and form a flap inside them ..check this out first.

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby the clock man » Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:24 pm

metalworker0 wrote:Sometimes the flex hoses can break down internally and form a flap inside them ..check this out first.

all the best.mark

Cheers, yep checked the flexi to the caliper, but nothing coming out of the joint on the ABS
There is a small legnth of flexi in the middle of the steel pipe from the master cylinder to the ABS.
Pressue at the top of this hose but stubborn fixing at the bottom, so will still check this one just in case. Fluid squirts out of all the other unions when slackened, just the one to the drivers side caliper on the ABS with pretty much nothing happening.
the clock man
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby the clock man » Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:20 am

Ok folks thought I would post the outcome incase anyone else has same issue.

I removed the ABS unit and took it apart, it was minging! found 3 solenoid valves were sticking so cleaned the unit through and powered them up up individually and eventually after a light tap with a small hammer got them all actuating.
Gave the filters and the blocks a throrough flush through with meths and all working great.
THEN found the flexi that I had previously checked to be blocked solid as suggested by someone on earlier post.
Weird as at first it started to bleed off ok then just stopped.
Now awaiting new pipe to arrive today to finish off, but in meantime have flushed the master cylinder and other pipes as the old fluid was like rusty coloured.
So keep the systems flushed is the answer with new fluid every few years to prevent this sort of drama.
the clock man
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby metalworker0 » Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:00 pm

Silicone brake fluid / DOT 5 is the one to use if you don't want ANY corrosion in the system, The down side is the whole brake system has to be flushed, all seals changed and you end up with a slightly spongier pedal and can only be topped up with DOT 5 silicone fluid.
Not to be confused with 5.1

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby the clock man » Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:09 pm

metalworker0 wrote:Silicone brake fluid / DOT 5 is the one to use if you don't want ANY corrosion in the system, The down side is the whole brake system has to be flushed, all seals changed and you end up with a slightly spongier pedal and can only be topped up with DOT 5 silicone fluid.
Not to be confused with 5.1

all the best.mark

Thanks Mark good to know.
Have lots of DOT 4 as my old Landy uses that too so will probably stick with that as often bleed system to keep them clean.
Only had the Transit since December so still working through the list of jobs :)

Thanks for posts and advice always appreciated.
the clock man
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Technical Problems & Questions