*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Engine Wobble.

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Engine Wobble.

Postby danrogers29 » Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:54 pm

Hi all.
Hoping someone might be able to give me a clue.
I have a mk7 transit 2.2 125ps
Recently I have been getting an issue where the van feels as if it is wobbling/shaking. Particularly as I am at cruising speed between 50-70mph. Once the shaking starts it seems to just keep getting worse until I pull over and stop for a moment, it may then be ok again for a while.
I had originally wondered if it could have been tyres, took it in for a check and needed 3 new tyres, so was hoping that would sort it. However today it started doing it again.
I have noticed that if I dip the clutch or stop accelerating, it stops immediately, but instantly starts again when I put my foot down. When the shaking starts, it also feels as if I am not getting the full power from the acceleration that I am applying either.

I am asking on here, because I have already taken it into the garage for them to investigate, and they found nothing they thought to be a problem. They rebalanced wheels and gave it a full service but otherwise said it was fine.

It definitely doesn't feel fine and worried that it will break down if I keep using it.
The first time it happened I did get an engine warning light which disappeared the next day, and garage said it wasn't displaying any fault codes. Around the same time the esp light was also coming and going regularly. Both of these things have stopped now. but wondering if it could be linked?

Thank you to anyone who takes time to answer, I am at a loss and not sure what to do.
danrogers29
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Engine Wobble.

Postby knobby1 » Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:18 pm

FWD..?? You don't say if it's FWD or RWD..? If FWD, wobble under load can often be a duff CV joint, might pay to check both drive shafts inner and outer CV joints.

If you've had a warning light come up on the dash, there "WILL" be fault codes stored, you need to get a proper diagnostic reader onto it. Some garages just use a generic reader.....not all readers can cope with the transit protocols. Forscan is you best option in this case.

How many miles on the beast..??

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Re: Engine Wobble.

Postby danrogers29 » Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:33 pm

Sorry, I thought I had included. It is FWD. Mileage is 100k
Thank you, I will go back to garage and ask them specifically to check those things.
Had a fwd mk7 before and it seems both vans have had a fair few issues with front cv joints, so I really wouldn't be surprised if that's it
Thanks for your reply
danrogers29
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Return to Technical Problems & Questions