*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk6 RWD - Slipping out of gear.

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Mk6 RWD - Slipping out of gear.

Postby Sean Zeek » Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:59 pm

Hello all.

This is my first go at a forum for anything so I do hope I post ok and it is in the right place.

I've bought myself a Transit Mk6 (Year 2000.) She is in good nick bodywise and the engine sounds sweet.
Has a camper conversion in the back that isn't the best but I am working on it as it's a bit tired. I'm cool with doing all that and it is coming along nice.

I'm no mechanic though, but am not stupid and can take good advice.

I have an issue with the gears that I hope someone can give me advice on.

The gearstick feels a little sloppy, although this is the first transit I have owned so I have no point of reference so I don't know if this is just how the geartick feels? The real problem though is it slipping out of first gear when on tickover.
It comes out slowly with the vibration, it drives fine and once the clutch is engaged it stay in gear fine. I've noticed it will do it in 4th too when the revs are low (It seems to be the vibration of the engine that kind of "Tickles" It to slip out.)
It drives well and there are no issues with engaging any of the gears, no stickiness or trouble engaging the gear. The only real issue I have is with hill starts. Taking my hand off the gear stick while I release the handbrake will give it enough time to slowly slip out of gear.
Once the clutch is released it stays in fine.
In my uneducated opinion (As a driver of cars for the last 36 years) I don't feel it is a gearbox problem because all the gears work fine and the changing is smooth when driving, I think there maybe something going on with the linkage or maybe the selector?
I watched a bunch of youtube vids this morning and thought I had enough info to actually have a look and try and find some sort of diagnosis, seems I was looking at vids that were of the 2 litre engine and not the 2.4 I have. I popped the bonnet thinking I would know what I was roughly looking at and it all looked very different to the things I had watched!

Not a clue what I am looking at.

If anyone can give me any help, advice or illumination I will be eternally gratefull. This is the most I have ever spent on a vehicle and is potentiolly going to be my future home (I so need some adventure!) I'm £5.5k into this now and want to minimise what I am now spending. I'm good with paying someone to do work but I really need to understand what the issue is so I don't get ripped of more.

Please please can someone give me advice?

Kind regards and appreciation in advance to anyone willing to take the time to give me advice and help....

Sean.
Sean Zeek

Re: Mk6 RWD - Slipping out of gear.

Postby V184 » Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:05 am

Check the rear flange nut is correct torque same with front turret, you may be lucky :!:
V184
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Re: Mk6 RWD - Slipping out of gear.

Postby Sean Zeek » Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:40 pm

Thank you so much for taking the time. I will now learn what those things are and have a look!
Sean Zeek

Return to Technical Problems & Questions