*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Bypass starter motor solenoid trigger wire?

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Bypass starter motor solenoid trigger wire?

Postby vintagemark » Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:22 pm

After having problems with my 2010 mk7 dead starter I have bought a new one. Checked it before fitting it and it works fine. However once fitted still dead. I have checked and replaced the switch on the barrel and the battery in the key. All lights work fine central locking etc. The only thing I think it could be is the small ignition trigger cable on the solenoid. Is there any way i could by pass it safely, or whare does it go or is there a fix.
vintagemark

Re: Bypass starter motor solenoid trigger wire?

Postby Frag » Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:51 pm

Starter motor solenoid has a relay in the fuse box under bonnet,should be R4,the one nearest to you (bottom square relay) on the right hand side.
What is the red led/PATS immobiliser light doing in the cluster ?
Frag
Ford Technician

Postby vintagemark » Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:42 pm

If I turn the ignition once it stops on then flashes quickly, the second time I do it it stops on for a bit then goes out. I did notice the flashing though is that the immobiliser or something else, thanks
vintagemark

Postby Frag » Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:44 am

If the light flashes quickly it’s a fault, and will not crank or start then regardless,
After the rapid flashing,if left it will then flash a fault code sequence of 2 numbers.

If working correctly,turn ignition on,light goes solid for 2/3 seconds then goes off completely,van should crank / start.
Frag
Ford Technician

Postby vintagemark » Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:17 pm

Just for feedback, I re earthed the cables from the fuse box under the ecu on the left side. I then wiggled all the relays under the bonnet while someone turned the key. The van started when R8 was moved, its the heater plug relay I think. Fingers crossed ordered a couple of fleabay. Thanks for your help
. Error flash code was 16 if it helps.
vintagemark

Return to Technical Problems & Questions