*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

OBD hand scanner mk6

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

OBD hand scanner mk6

Postby mallood » Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:50 am

Hello all. New and offcourse a new (older) transit 2.0 125 tdci 2004 owner, and like always, best info on your vehicle....join a forum.
Verry wellrounded with working on my own motorcycles and car....the bm trouble you, and it really lives up to his nickname, but lets get to the question.
My best buy for the BMW was an icarsoft reader, and now i'm searching and contacting lots off sellers, but not with much luck. i know i can use a ELM with forscan software, but there must be a hand held code reader for this bus.....or?
Any thoughts or tips
thanks
mallood
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: OBD hand scanner mk6

Postby knobby1 » Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:24 pm

mallood wrote:Hello all. New and offcourse a new (older) transit 2.0 125 tdci 2004 owner, and like always, best info on your vehicle....join a forum.
Verry wellrounded with working on my own motorcycles and car....the bm trouble you, and it really lives up to his nickname, but lets get to the question.
My best buy for the BMW was an icarsoft reader, and now i'm searching and contacting lots off sellers, but not with much luck. i know i can use a ELM with forscan software, but there must be a hand held code reader for this bus.....or?
Any thoughts or tips
thanks

An often asked question.....Unfortunately the Mk6 is "NOT" OBD-II compliant so most of the newer hand held readers won't work. We find the best thing is Forscan on a Windoze laptop and a "modified" ELM-327. Any hand held bluetooth/WiFi devices will have very limited functionality compared to the "wired" units running Forscan. They can also tend to drop out if there are a lot of stray Bluetooth or WiFi frequencies floating about the area, not a good thing when half way through a programming session.

You can use the Bluetooth/WiFi units for running live data though..

This is a well known, cheap and garanteed to work ELM-327 unit which works very well with Forscan..:

https://tunnelrat-electronics.fwscart.c ... 45457.aspx

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby mallood » Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:43 am

thanks for the info, just ordered one....i guess i'm gonna have to bother the wife to install all this stuff. I can allmost fix anything but dont ask me to work on a phone or pc.
mallood
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby mallood » Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:59 pm

well just recieved the ELM, installed everything...forscan....what a bummer....not a single fault code, i was really hoping to get started fixing stuff.....
all jokes aside, what would a paid licence on forscan bring me for my 2.0 tdci 260 125 2004 transit? could i do more with this on my bus or .....its cheap as...but do i need it?
mallood
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:00 pm

mallood wrote:well just recieved the ELM, installed everything...forscan....what a bummer....not a single fault code, i was really hoping to get started fixing stuff.....
all jokes aside, what would a paid licence on forscan bring me for my 2.0 tdci 260 125 2004 transit? could i do more with this on my bus or .....its cheap as...but do i need it?

Not much really, it allows module programming ... handy if you need to replace the PCM and code injectors etc ....you can get a "free" extended licence which lasts for 2 months, try it and see.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Technical Problems & Questions