*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

SWB panel van external tail lift question

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

SWB panel van external tail lift question

Postby smileyflo » Thu Oct 27, 2022 2:14 pm

Hi, I'm new here so not sure if I'm posting this in the right section but I'm hoping to find someone with old school 'can do' knowledge. I have a SWB, RWD MK5 Transit panel van and I'm trying to find a way to get an external tail lift fitted to it. Theres no space inside for a more normal internal lift (because of the room they take up with the hardware and deadspace) and usable ramps are too long to be practical in the places I need to be unloading/loading away from home. An external tail lift like the ones I've pictured would be perfect but I've been told by a couple of places (based on their computer databases of the specific manufacturers info they have) that no external lifts would work with my van because either its 'too old' (which I'm not sure is the barrier its made out to be), or the vans too short, which sounds more legit but I'm not getting anymore info, just shut down with 'its not possible'.

So I think the length issue is about the overhang behind the back axle, which is where the tail lift hardware would usually go? But I'm not sure if this means its truly impossible to put an external lift of any kind on any kind of SWB panel van, or if there IS a way of doing it with different fittings/ in a different place or some kind of safe/legal enough macgyvering?

Does anyone know? Has anyone had or seen a SWB van with an external tail lift? Does anyone have any alternative suggestions that might help?

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
smileyflo

Re: SWB panel van external tail lift question

Postby smileyflo » Thu Oct 27, 2022 2:15 pm

second attachment
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
smileyflo

Re: SWB panel van external tail lift question

Postby MinorMatt » Thu Oct 27, 2022 3:59 pm

Ask if they can do a mk7 swb

Underneath isn't the same - but it is very similar and will almost certainly be able to be adapted
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

95 M Prototype/Mule DRW 100PS Highcube
93 L GL Minibus
96 P 150 TD 100PS LWB Hi-Top

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Technical Problems & Questions