*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Swapping engines

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Swapping engines

Postby Briliverpool » Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:52 am

I'm trying to find out if it's possible to swap a 2.2l (2012) engine with a 2l (2005).

On the 2005 model the gearstick comes up from the floor and the 2012 the gearstick comes out from the dashboard. Is it possible that the gearbox are generic or is it a different setup. If the gearboxes aren't compatible would the engine still be????
Briliverpool

Re: Swapping engines

Postby knobby1 » Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:42 pm

Some have done the change to TDDi engine from TDCi but it's quite difficult.

If changing the engine, the complete fuel and electric systems, ECU/PCM/BCM must be changed out as they're not compatible. Not an easy task but it has been done. If changing the gearbox too, the complete gearchange system is different and I believe the gearbox mounts and drive shafts are also different.

Why anyone would do it is a bit of a mystery to me though, a nicely running Mk7 engine will run rings around a nicely running Mk6. Some say the Mk7's are not as reliable, but if maintaned correctly, they run well and last well.

Just my humble opinion.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Technical Problems & Questions