*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Alternator replacement HELP

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Alternator replacement HELP

Postby jacky » Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:59 pm

Evening,

decided to replace my alternator today but having problems getting the alternator back in place.

Is there a belt tensioner somewhere I cant see? I can get the alternator in place and bolted up without the belt on but with the belt on i cant line the alternator up or get the bottom bolts on. Had a look for a tensioner but no joy

Van is a 2010 280 SWB fwd. Alternator is on the side of the engine and the belt goes over 1 large pulley wheel then onto the alternator

thanks
jacky
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Alternator replacement HELP

Postby longhair » Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:29 pm

I think it will be a stretch belt and that why you can't find a tensioner. You fasten the alternator in place then feed the belt on by turning the crankshaft pulley with a spanner or socket if you can get one on.
longhair
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby jacky » Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:48 pm

Brilliant, many thanks. Will have a go in the morning

Thanks Longhair for the info
jacky
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby mallood » Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:20 pm

Did you get it on?
You have the same set up like me, and the trick with these steched belt is.....put it on your alt. completly, ( so alternator must be installed and bolted down!) then from the top side of your cranckpully pul it as far as you can and then ty it up with a tywrap trough one of the holes near or below the furtherst side of where you got the belt....the tywrap can go under the pully so just make it tight and include the belt.....now cranck the car ( start) just one second....tada, belt is on and tywrap is broken lose.....if not repeat and make sure you got things tight down.
You can even find stuf on YT if you type in strech belt trick car, pully.......
i bet you allready fixed it but maybe next time you know the trick now......and for your alternator.....i dont understand why people change the entire alternator....take it of, listen to the bearing, if its sounds good then leave it, blow everyting with air and maybe some brake cleaner/ contact spray, and just change the rectifier, it costs peanuts compaired to a new alternator, and mostly the brushes are just worn., if the bearing sounds like sh*t you could even put on a new bearing, but for the rest, these copper wires hardly really fail.....you can open the rectifier and see if the wire brushes are stil long enough and make good contact.
anyway...goodluck
mallood
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby jacky » Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:38 pm

Yes managed to get it done. Nightmare getting the splash guard off due to rusty screws

I put a 15mm socket on the flywheel and turned by hand. Belt slipped on after that.

Previous van had belt tensioner and that was easy to do, but this one got me.
jacky
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Technical Problems & Questions