*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Can bearings be bad if they don't make any noise?

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Can bearings be bad if they don't make any noise?

Postby Timelourd » Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:38 pm

So in my MK1 connect, my inner wheel is grinding against my brake calipers when breaking hard or turning extremely, which would lead me to suspect the bearings are bad but I've got the hub off and the bearings feel smooth as butter.

I've replaced the drive shaft, the drop links, the ball joint and the track rod end.

The only other culprits are brake pads - they look okay but are worn down to 1/2" on the back, but about 1/4" on the front.

Other than that, the track rod end might have put the alignment off, but I'm not sure if that would make inner wheel scrape against the caliper.

It's it possible my bearings are bad despite being perfectly smooth spinning when the wheel is off?
1996 2.5di MK5 Banana Engine
Timelourd
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Can bearings be bad if they don't make any noise?

Postby mallood » Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:11 pm

Hard to say, i once had a motorcycle frontwheel bearing that just like yours, felt like butter and looked oke, but when driving it starting to play up....heat friction bla bla.
Its a mather of locating the source of the noise and ruling stuff out. maybe something is just a tiny piece off, with all the stuff you allready put on, you need to retrace your steps, put the bus on a stand and check on anyway possible if you can locate it by manhandeling the suspected wheel. If that doesnt work you have to find someone that you can tie up under the bus and then take it for a spin. just kidding.....the motorcycly bearing took me a while to find out, and i found out that it was the bearing by driving the bike hot, put it on a stand as soon as you can and then rotate the wheel...good luck
mallood
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby fortyeight » Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:48 pm

on my fiesta just replace the front wheel bearing ,no play in it ,a little scraping noise and a little when turning
fortyeight
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Timelourd » Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:57 pm

Just took the whole knuckle to a local mechanic. He gave it a spin and said, "I would not replace that." His advice was to check the calipers. Since the calipers are rubbing against the inner wheel when breaking, I'm guessing it's going to turn it to be the brake pads.

I'll report back when I figure it out.
Timelourd
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Timelourd » Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:16 am

Turns out it was the very wheel bearing that the mechanic said he wouldn't replace. Took it to an MOT center and the put it on the shakers, and the shakers didn't lie. I replaced the damn bearing and the noise is gone.
Timelourd
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby metalworker0 » Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:26 pm

"put it on the shakers?"

what's that mean?

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby dumper » Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:03 pm

Probably the shuffle plate that shakes the wheel in all directions with the weight on them all MOT stations have them used for one man mot testing.
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby marcrbarker » Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:14 pm

dumper wrote:Probably the shuffle plate that shakes the wheel in all directions with the weight on them all MOT stations have them used for one man mot testing.

they have them here in Spain. A metal plate the wheel sits on that simulates hard cornering
marcrbarker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Technical Problems & Questions