*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk4 leaf springs. Worn?

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Mk4 leaf springs. Worn?

Postby Sinisha » Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:48 am

My Mk4 190 camper leaning on its side. I believe I should buy new leaf springs. There are 4 leaves on each side. It's a bit hard to find these packages, but 2+1 is more available. Can I mount this package with one old leaf added? This one https://www.car-parts.ie/car-parts/ford ... 762?page=2 plus old lower leaf?
Sinisha
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Mk4 leaf springs. Worn?

Postby MinorMatt » Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:12 pm

No transit left the factory with more than 3 leaf springs - hence the 2+1 you are finding.

If you get some 2+1 springs then you can add one of the leafs from the 4 spring version to bulk it up a bit.

Obviously you need to change as a pair.

The other option is to take both springs off and take them to someone like Midland Road Springs/Jones Springs/Owen Springs/Sanderson Springs and see if they can either make you a new pair to the same spec or retemper the ones you have. It will likely cost less than you think!
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

95 M Prototype/Mule DRW 100PS Highcube
93 L GL Minibus
96 P 150 TD 100PS LWB Hi-Top

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby metalworker0 » Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:31 pm

i would have a look at the shackles first ...maybe one is seized, take them apart and give them some attention.
Go underneath ...get someone to jump up and down on the back step whilst observing what the shackles are doing.
anti-roll l bar bushes, if it has them ..one side may have worn bush so ...lets it lean as less resistance on that side.

Sometimes you can have work done on one side and the person who does it tightens everything up with the wheel hanging in the air ... should be done with wheels on the ground.

all the best..mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Sinisha » Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:05 am

OK, thanks for answers. One of these days I'll be go under and try to inspect again. In the meantime, I did some search an found that rear springs for my 190 EF should be 92VB5560RA, 2+1. Can't find any special springs for "High gravity" or so .... Also, is EJAFHE (my Transit Type, what is that mean?) is important when search for springs? Should I insert the lowest (4th), old leaf into new 2+1 set?
Sinisha
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Sinisha » Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:42 am

Anyone knows difference between Standard suspension and High center of gravity, which is mine? VIN plate box 12.
Sinisha
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby metalworker0 » Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:47 pm

i suppose High center of gravity refers to load carrying vehicles like a tipper or minibus when fully laden.

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Sinisha » Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:12 pm

Yes, I think you're right. But, what is difference between this version leafs and coils and standard ones, I meant.
Sinisha
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby metalworker0 » Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:28 am

here's a list
https://www.transitcenter.uk/tags.php/t ... f-spring-7

you can press on each one and see the dimensions.

the more leafs you add the harsher the rides going to be unladen, almost to the point of biting your tongue off.

or is it ..i can see how they work now ..two leafs standard ..the others add up progressively when you add weight .and the amount of straps around them change the way they act.

no knowledge of campers and how the weight changes ..suppose you'll be carrying
50 gallons or more of water that changes ..and you might have a larger fuel tank. gas bottles.

BTW if i had multiple leaf springs ..i would definitely have one of these.
This is a sold item ..non on there now ..he lists every few weeks - to keep the prices up i think.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leaf-Spring- ... 5999592988?

all the best..mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby V184 » Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:46 pm

Sinisha wrote:Anyone knows difference between Standard suspension and High center of gravity, which is mine? VIN plate box 12.

i think its fitted with anti roll bars ?
V184
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Sinisha » Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:20 am

V184 wrote:
Sinisha wrote:Anyone knows difference between Standard suspension and High center of gravity, which is mine? VIN plate box 12.

i think its fitted with anti roll bars ?

Don't all versions have anti roll bars? I think there have to be something about number of leafs at rear and thickness and heights of coil springs ....
Sinisha
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Technical Problems & Questions