*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Fuel injectors or ECU or....?

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Fuel injectors or ECU or....?

Postby Drummond11 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:00 pm

Hi everyone, last year I purchased a 2018 Transit Campervan with just 11k miles on the clock. In the last few months, the yellow spanner has been coming on on the dashboard, and it's when I'm accelerating up an incline at around 55/60mph in 5th or 6th gear. I can feel a slight jolt in the power supply when this happens and this is when the spanner light comes on, lasting for 20-30 seconds. My local garage carried out a diagnostic test which gave codes indicating the four fuel injectors were all faulty. All have now been replaced (costing me £2100) but the problem is still there. My nearby Ford dealer has suggested the fuel may be contaminated, but the garage I am using says this is unlikely (they've replaced the fuel filter and saw no evidence of anything untoward, and also say that any bad fuel will have worked its way through by now as the problem has been going on for a few months). They now suspect a faulty ECU and are trying to source a reconditioned one to try and save me money. Does this problem ring any bells with anyone? I've already spent £2k+ on this and feel like I've got nowhere. Really grateful for any advice! Thank you.
Drummond11

Re: Fuel injectors or ECU or....?

Postby giosoft » Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:38 pm

Sorry to hear of your pain on this - especially on such a low mileage van!

I can't offer the most helpful insight just yet but will keep you posted as I'm currently in the throws of an 'is it fuel systems or electrics' diagnostic too. I have similar issues on my 2014 Custom Transit 2.2l (132k miles). I don't know if it's familiar, but engine light stays on, and then I'm getting intermittent ABS/Hill Start warnings, and false temperature readings. I am also getting that surge you've mentioned - it's quite regular, and also when putting some pressure on the engine. We've had the In-Tank Fuel Pump all but confirmed as faulty, and the garage suspects that might be the issue re. power. When plugged in, it's showing fuel pressure system issues, and they believe it may be the engine trying to regulate the flow of fuel when accelerating up hill etc.

Have you had it plugged in, and did you see any issues with fuel pressure?
giosoft

Re: Fuel injectors or ECU or....?

Postby metalworker0 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:53 pm

£2100 ......wow ..this is what you get when tech reads the fault codes ..and acts on them without checking other things first.
Don't think its the way i would do things.

If its got a DPF ..i would be looking at that ....followed by the EGR...and i don't mean replacing ....they would be checked out, to make sure functioning correctly.

You could be at the mercy of an 18 year old zero experience ford tech who is clueless without his fault codes .

allm the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Return to Technical Problems & Questions