*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Please help , need info on front disks please

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Postby MONDYMANv6 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:19 pm

any one know the size of the hex bolts please..
MONDYMANv6
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Nighthawk » Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:38 pm

It's harder to imagine the set up, than it is to do it m8 :wink:

Which hex bolts do you mean?

Caliper to bridge....18mm
caliper slides 12 or 13 mm depending on if it's had pads
disc to hub............13mm
hub bearing to carrier...50 Torx
wheel nuts............21mm
center nut............36mm

The long bolts you use are up to you m8, i find an M10 bolt with a 19mm head is great, but you could use an M8 with a 17mm head.

Hope that helps
Nighthawk
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby MONDYMANv6 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:42 pm

you are one hell of a star you to guys , thanks for the info , just to check though , if i do that will it pull the hub and that off if it is only pushing on one side of the disc as i dont want it to jam up as it is only pusing one side etc , i could be wrong and probley am lol but just want to check , so its a 50 torx bit i need i take it the 50 bit is the size..
MONDYMANv6
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Nighthawk » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:07 pm

Yup, 50 is the size

Make sure you buy one thats either long enough to go through the hole in the hub, or the body of the tool is thin enough to go through it.

The snap on 3/8" drive standard 50 Torx is fine for the job...... :wink:

Yes, it sounds nawty that your applying pressure to one side of the bearing unit, but it'll be OK, I've done countless sets of them on FWD and RWD over the last 5 years without damage to either a disc or bearing :lol:

The bearing only sits inside the carrier for around 10mm, your biggest concern is making sure you don't pull the drive shaft outer CV apart when you pull it apart. :D
Nighthawk
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby MONDYMANv6 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:29 pm

YOU REALLY ARE A STAR MATE YOU HAVE HELPED ME out tons there , thank you thank you thank you , i will let you know how it goes tomorrow night , thank you again. :D
MONDYMANv6
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Nighthawk » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:39 pm

MONDYMANv6 wrote:YOU REALLY ARE A STAR MATE YOU HAVE HELPED ME out tons there , thank you thank you thank you , i will let you know how it goes tomorrow night , thank you again. :D

Just PM me the address you want the bill sending to :lol:
Nighthawk
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby MONDYMANv6 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:44 pm

lol you cheaky sod :D , no i do mean it though thank you mate it means a lot to take your time and give the brill info you have , thank you.

Ryan. :D
MONDYMANv6
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby MONDYMANv6 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:52 pm

your a star :D , all went brill and your idear to remove the hub with them bolts and a 5mm flat bar worked fantastic , could not finish though as the bolts for the disc are a tad worn on the head so as i do the jobs propley i packed it all away as new bolts will be in monday morning , thanks again.
MONDYMANv6
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Please help , need info on front disks please

Postby avromo » Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:34 pm

does this work for the rwd? my mechanic says that there is not driveshaft for the brake disc to push against ?
avromo
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re:

Postby avromo » Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:34 pm

MONDYMANv6 wrote:this is the pic of the tool

cant see that pic?
avromo
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:03 pm

avromo wrote:does this work for the rwd? my mechanic says that there is not driveshaft for the brake disc to push against ?

Thread is well over 14 years old now ....and the person you're replying to hasn't been back on here since December of 2010. Best you start a new thread with your issue.

Would also help if you told us what model Transit you have, Mk6 or Mk7..?? RWD does have a dummy drive shaft/axle in the front hub.

Mk7 RWD here..:

http://www.catcar.info/ford/?lang=en&l= ... g2ODgrMTMx

Mk6 RWD here..:

http://www.catcar.info/ford/?lang=en&l= ... QrMA%3D%3D

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby avromo » Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:37 pm

thanks i have a t350 minibus mk6 rwd with ABS, i tried to get my local friendly mecanic to do my front disc and pads but he cud not get the hubs off, he said he needed a hub remover, what is that?
avromo
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:48 pm

avromo wrote:thanks i have a t350 minibus mk6 rwd with ABS, i tried to get my local friendly mecanic to do my front disc and pads but he cud not get the hubs off, he said he needed a hub remover, what is that?

Hubs are pressed into the wheel bearing and the bearing assembly is often corroded badly into the knuckle making it near impossible to do without the proper tools. Some people have made up their own "home made" tools and used a big lump hammer to get by ....but often it's easier to just buy a hub/bearing already pre-assembled as the bearing or hub are easily damaged when bashed to get the hub out.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby avromo » Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:38 am

thanks , i saw something about using long bolts through the back of the hub carrier that seemed to make sense , now to convince the mechanic, not sure i wanna risk it myself!
avromo
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Previous

Return to Technical Problems & Questions