*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

We need axle info!!!

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Re: We need axle info!!!

Postby Madbaja » Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:09 pm

Thanks for that information
Madbaja
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby bj928 » Tue May 03, 2022 1:43 pm

i have a mk8 twin wheel axle fitted to my mk6 recovery, basically same fitting as listed above, the mk8 axle is also available as an LSD from america, the american axle uses 34 spline shafts so to change to LSD you need shafts and diff, i will be bringing a few set ups to the uk at the end of the year, brand new direct from ford, i will post a thread nearer the time to see how many sets will be needed, they will be £750 a set up (2x half shafts and 1 x ford factory LSD), after market LSD's are also available, also, i brought as check luggage an "dana" diff with me to america (working in america till xmas), i will be going to a few 4x4 shops to see if it is a dana and see if i can get an LSD that fits as a direct replacement, message me for more info,
bj928
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby OlliV8 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:14 pm

Did the same research if an american OEM-LSD diff could be used as is in euro Mk8 casing and I found out that the Euro Mk8 axle uses 35-spline axle shafts with 38mm axle spline diameter (measured myself), where the american one is 34-spline 35mm diameter axles. What I wasnt able to find an answer for, is if the american axle shafts fit the european casing.

Ford changed their axles to the 35-spline versions for model year 2020 F-150, but no aftermarket diffs available for those yet. So could be a potential solution in the future, without the hassle of buying the american axle shafts.
OlliV8
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby bj928 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:03 pm

yes the axle shafts from the american axle fit the uk axle, we tried one, i have 2 american axles in the uk, 1 lsd 1 open, and i have an F150 diff to fit, i have an axle builder putting it together, i just need to get the 2nd axle shaft to the builder so he can finish putting it all together to confirm everything fits, you can easily see the difference between the uk and usa shafts, at the spline end, the uk axle is fatter with splines, the usa shaft is thinner with splines,
bj928
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby LTK » Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:05 pm

On European (made in Turkey) MK8 rear axle OlliV8 said:
OlliV8 wrote:Did the same research if an american OEM-LSD diff could be used as is in euro Mk8 casing and I found out that the Euro Mk8 axle uses 35-spline axle shafts with 38mm axle spline diameter (measured myself), where the american one is 34-spline 35mm diameter axles. What I wasnt able to find an answer for, is if the american axle shafts fit the european casing.

Ford changed their axles to the 35-spline versions for model year 2020 F-150, but no aftermarket diffs available for those yet. So could be a potential solution in the future, without the hassle of buying the american axle shafts.

But looking for an E-locker for my 2014 MK8 AWD and reading this post, I understood that EU Transit rear end is 9.75" 35 spline 38 mm diameter: does anyone know if this E-locker linked below could fit into EU rear axle? I'm talking about axle shaft diameter, casing bearing, but also the fitment of e-locker into the casing drilling an hole for the wiring connection and locking the non rotating part: any ideas on this?
In addiction, can someone explain me how to translate the codes on the rear differential cover plate, please?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LTK

Postby LTK » Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:04 am

I lost the link:
https://www.yukongear.com/shop/yp-pf9-75e-35
there is no info's on axle shaft dimensions...
LTK

Postby bj928 » Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:09 am

I have 2 american mk8 axles and the half shafts are different to uk/euro shafts, the uk axles are fatter at the spline end and are 35 spline, the USA axles shafts are thinner at the spline end and are 34 spline, one of the axles is factory lsd, and I'm using the other axle to build myself a aftermarket lsd axle,
bj928
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby bj928 » Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:36 pm

british shaft and american shaft
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bj928
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby bj928 » Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:27 am

i do have a spare american mk8 transit lsd axle with a 3.73 ratio
bj928
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby OlliV8 » Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:41 pm

LTK wrote:I lost the link:
https://www.yukongear.com/shop/yp-pf9-75e-35
there is no info's on axle shaft dimensions...

Highly likely it would be a correct fit. As I understood from searching the web, the 35-spline used in the F-150 Raptor series should be the same 38mm/35-spline as in EU/UK transits. But as always, you wont know until you have the part on hand and can fit the half shafts.
OlliV8
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby LTK » Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:06 pm

OlliV8 wrote:Highly likely it would be a correct fit. As I understood from searching the web, the 35-spline used in the F-150 Raptor series should be the same 38mm/35-spline as in EU/UK transits. But as always, you wont know until you have the part on hand and can fit the half shafts.

I'll try to have a answer from them with my "not really good" spoken English... :roll:
But I never opened my Transit MK8 rear axle so probably I need a much more detailed info's on minimum spline length and differential carrier width, bearing etc...
LTK

Previous

Return to Technical Problems & Questions