*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Transit payload

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Re: Transit payload

Postby loot » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:05 am

I would have thought 3.5t is the max if it is a 350, so i would say that it is upto the owner of that vehicle to ascertain what they can add to the van in their work situation.
I'd do as has been suggested and weigh it all but if possible leave a small amount of weight free for contingencies.
I bet if you loaded it on a dry day to the max and it rained, you'd be overloaded :roll:
Do vosa allow any tolerance for being over? Where i live they'd probably do a porkies and smash my van up for more fines :lol:
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby ake » Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:31 pm

ophirmadar wrote:If your worried about keeping your van in the legal limit. Just remember one thing. Its almost impossible to truly stay within the law. Even the police dont.. I Bought an ex police van. GVW on v5 said 3500kg. on the vin it said 3950kg . Explain that!! The thing weighed in at around 2750 empty. And it had seats and a steel cage in the back. Fully loaded with coppers. It was definitely over 3500kg.

Add an extra leaf on the back. and all your worries will disappear away ;)

With all honesty. Your net payload with 2 passengers, fuel and tools etc. Will likely be in the 750kg region.

Goodluck staying within the law :)

That's been built and plated to 3950 kg as per police spec, and incorrectly down rated by only changing the v5 and not getting a new vin plate.
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby Backbone of Britain » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:06 pm

loot34 wrote:Do vosa allow any tolerance for being over? Where i live they'd probably do a porkies and smash my van up for more fines :lol:

They will allow 10% over your gross weight before they consider prosecution if it is your first offence but usually they will want you to unload it down to or below the gross weight before they will allow you to carry on with your journey and that will mean leaving stuff at the roadside or getting someone to come down and take the stuff for you, if you do the latter then whoever you get to pick your stuff up will also have their vehicle weighed.to ensure they are also not overloaded! I would think they would let you off if you were say 50kg over, but never assume where the law is concerned.
2006 Mk6 115 T350 LWB Highroof
2008 Mk7 115 T350 LX LWB Highroof
Backbone of Britain
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby loot » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:34 pm

Backbone of Britain wrote:
loot34 wrote:Do vosa allow any tolerance for being over? Where i live they'd probably do a porkies and smash my van up for more fines :lol:

They will allow 10% over your gross weight before they consider prosecution if it is your first offence but usually they will want you to unload it down to or below the gross weight before they will allow you to carry on with your journey and that will mean leaving stuff at the roadside or getting someone to come down and take the stuff for you, if you do the latter then whoever you get to pick your stuff up will also have their vehicle weighed.to ensure they are also not overloaded! I would think they would let you off if you were say 50kg over, but never assume where the law is concerned.

Ah I'm stuffed either way :-(i must have about 50kg of wrappers under my seat, how much is the fine for littering? :lol:
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby ophirmadar » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:09 am

I just thought id point out also. That if you don't have a waste carriers license, They can actually do you for carrying wrappers from your food. Technically. If VOSA want to screw you. They will!! Your not allowed to carry ANY form of waste without a license!!

Not that i'm preaching. I'm just letting you know quite how difficult it is, to work within the law.

:)
ophirmadar
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby limitedblack » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:35 am

I thought they couldn't prosecute you if you are carrying tools for your job and had some waste. I'm sure there is a loophole there for guys like plumbers who have stuff to dispose of. It's just people who carry waste only for financial gain?
Happy Easter
limitedblack
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby bigjohnthomas » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:14 am

Isn't it just for carrying other peoples waste ?
I don't think all the dickheads that que up at the council tip on a Sunday have a licence
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby TriumphStag » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:09 am

You cannot be done for carrying your own waste. Only if you are carrying it for someone else. In any case I think the court would look very dimly on VOSA for trying to prosecute a van driver for having a twix wrapper in the cab.
2004 MK6 2.4 Duratorq MWB Medium Roof (in white!)
TriumphStag
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby bigjohnthomas » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:29 am

A TWIx WRAPPER :x
The dirty filthy pervert CHOP tHe b*stards BollOk OFF

Hope this helps
Judge allcock
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby ake » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:36 am

limitedblack wrote:I thought they couldn't prosecute you if you are carrying tools for your job and had some waste. I'm sure there is a loophole there for guys like plumbers who have stuff to dispose of. It's just people who carry waste only for financial gain?

That's a common misconception, you MUST have a waste carrying license, even if you are a tradesman
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby TriumphStag » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:43 pm

ake wrote:
limitedblack wrote:I thought they couldn't prosecute you if you are carrying tools for your job and had some waste. I'm sure there is a loophole there for guys like plumbers who have stuff to dispose of. It's just people who carry waste only for financial gain?

That's a common misconception, you MUST have a waste carrying license, even if you are a tradesman

Which counts as someone else's waste.....if decided to use my van to take stuff to the tip (im not a trader) then i don't need one. Although when i turn up at the tip with my van the guys there look at me as if i have just asked for a couple of hours with their daughters.
2004 MK6 2.4 Duratorq MWB Medium Roof (in white!)
TriumphStag
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Knox2301 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:21 pm

I have a mark 7 transit jumbo hi roof xlwb and its a twin real wheel model el350 hd it has the biggest payload can carry in transit of that age
Knox2301

Postby Mike » Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:16 pm

Knox2301 wrote:I have a mark 7 transit jumbo hi roof xlwb and its a twin real wheel model el350 hd it has the biggest payload can carry in transit of that age

Nice digging, don't expect a response from the op though, he hasn't been here for 10 years. :roll:
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby Mike » Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:17 pm

The angry obese hgv driver hasn't been here for a while either.
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Previous

Return to Technical Problems & Questions