*NOW BOOKED FOR 2026* Transitmania 17 @ Santa Pod 17th to 19th July 2026 *ALL DETAILS HERE*


1998 speedo

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

1998 speedo

Postby Tasman » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:19 pm

we have a 98 LWB. The speedo stopped working, looked in the haines but the van doesnt seem to have a speedo cable. Help
Tasman
Newbie
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:15 pm

Re: 1998 speedo

Postby Mikey B » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:48 pm

First check fuse!!!
Could be the speed sensor on the box, the wiring or the speedo clock. More than likely be the speed sensor.
MKB Autos All makes and models catered for.
Mikey B
Ford Technician
 
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu May 13, 2010 11:03 pm
Location: North Wales

Re: 1998 speedo

Postby Tasman » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:04 pm

Thanks, checking it out now. Surprised there's nothing in the haines about it tho
Tasman
Newbie
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:15 pm

Re: 1998 speedo

Postby unclealec » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:11 pm

I think Haynes do Mk 5 manuals that stop at about 1996, as well as the ones that go up to 2000. The electronic speedos didn't come out until about 1997? therefore not mentioned in the earlier edition of Haynes manual.
1997 Mk. 5 SWB 120 2.5di
Mk. I camper project
RM series Rileys
User avatar
unclealec
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 244
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:38 pm
Location: Manchester

Re: 1998 speedo

Postby kentgpz11 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:00 pm

My Haynes manual goes upto 1999 & I can't find anything about this either, other than it's on the gearbox.
The speedo doesn't work on our 2000 van either. :(
Image The 2 tone money pit.
User avatar
kentgpz11
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 227
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:21 pm
Location: Stoke-On-Trent

Re: 1998 speedo

Postby MrMPuk » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:02 pm

That's because the Haynes manuals are sh*t!
MrMPuk
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist
 
Posts: 27856
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:50 am

Re: 1998 speedo

Postby kentgpz11 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:07 pm

Checked the TIS disc too, can't find much on there either.
Changed the speed sensor for a scrapyard one, checked the wiring & still nothing. :(
Maybe it was a duff one, who knows? :?
So back to square 1 again. :x
Image The 2 tone money pit.
User avatar
kentgpz11
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 227
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:21 pm
Location: Stoke-On-Trent

Re: 1998 speedo

Postby Tinbasher » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:21 am

Hello there. I've just joined this forum, so thanks a lot.

I have an issue with electric speedo too. I changed the gearbox 2 weeks ago. I had originally an electric speedo that worked fine. My gearbox lost both reverse and 5th gear (I'll ask about that later). I had the elctronic sensor (on the nearside rear of the box) and where a speedo cable would be was a blanking plug.

I got another gearbox from a scrapyard (60 quid) and noticed it has both the cable drive outlet (on the O/S) AND the electronic unit on the N/S. same as my old one. The lads had cracked the male end of the multi-plug that connects the unit to the wiring loom. No worries, I got the box back to work, and swapped the units as a first thing, only because my plug connector was better mainly. It was also a known working unit. I had to tilt both boxes on their sides when swapping the units, else all the oil comes out.

I've fitted the box and all the gears are fine, smooth, no noises. But no speedo working. i'm positive I've connected everything correctly. The problem now is that if I wish to swap back or replace with another (scrapyard?), I will lose the oil when I remove it. I'm not too bothered about that cos it is probably wise to replace it anyway and that has been my intention, but I don't want to do that and still not have a speedo working and then have to do it again.

I admit, I didn't know it was fused and haven't checked that, but if fuse is ok, what next?

The only differnce from my old set-up is that I now have an un-used cable drive peeping out of the box, whereas it used to be blanked off, but otherwise the electric sensor is fitted and connected exactly the same.
Tinbasher
Newbie
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:09 am


Return to Technical Problems & Questions



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated.