*NOW BOOKED FOR 2026* Transitmania 17 @ Santa Pod 17th to 19th July 2026 *ALL DETAILS HERE*


Black smoke after refurb turbo fitted HELP

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Black smoke after refurb turbo fitted HELP

Postby nac34 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:46 pm

I have a ford tourneo 2003 2.0td. 80,000 miles

Back a few months ago the turbo seals blew. I ended up buyin a refurb turbo from eurocarparts and had a local garage fit the turbo. Ever since tho it felt like there was no power on acceleration and also alot of black smoke from 1st to 3rd.

I read up on here about the egr valve block. So went to do that but it was already done by previous owner. I also removed intercooler and inlet manifold, cleaned them out and refitted. The van pulls alot better now but still has slot of black smoke. Its been in the garage to have injectors coded? An that hasn't helped. I've also tried removing the plate that is blocking off the egr but that hasnt helped either.

Has anyone got any idea of what could be causing it. I'm pretty sure there was hardly any smoke before the turbo went. Is it possible when the turbo blew it may have caused some other damage that would cause the smoke. Could it be a leak between exhaust manifold and turbo if so how can I check? Another thing I just read on here was About the pump mod. If the previous owner had done the egr valve them it possible the pump mod got done aswel I suppose so if it has been turned up to much could this cause it.

Thanks for any help or info any one can give
nac34
Newbie
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:13 pm

Re: Black smoke after refurb turbo fitted HELP

Postby MrMPuk » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:49 pm

Sounds like the turbo's not correctly setup.
MrMPuk
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist
 
Posts: 27856
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:50 am

Re: Black smoke after refurb turbo fitted HELP

Postby angeleye » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:18 pm

have you checked intercooler and pipe work for splits leaks etc
angeleye
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic
 
Posts: 4058
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:34 pm

Re: Black smoke after refurb turbo fitted HELP

Postby Ollie » Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:40 pm

Stick a boost guage on it and see how it behaves, how does total boost in top gear full bore compare to book figure? in theory though fuelling should follow the boost to prevent the smoking, so its possible that theres somethoing else up. Is the Pressure sensor gummed up with the oil from the turbo failure? etc? Eurocarparts don't have great reputation for supplying the correct bits around here so I'd also compare the new one with the old unit!

Ollie
User avatar
Ollie
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee
 
Posts: 694
Joined: Sat May 06, 2006 10:57 am
Location: Birmingham


Return to Technical Problems & Questions



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated.