*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk6 transit crew cab tray back

This forum can be used to update other members on your progress with your Transit.

Re: Mk6 transit crew cab tray back

Postby spudmab » Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:46 pm

Well I thought I would give the wheels a quick lick if paint on the new metal, not sure i like the silver, definitely not going gold or black. Anyone else got any suggestions.

Think the back looks a little bit smart ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-N981B using Tapatalk
spudmab
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby spudmab » Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:37 pm

Well nothing as exciting as the wheels but probably one of the most important parts. The track locator bar is in place and now the axle is locked from sideways movement. The lower airbag brackets have been figured.ImageImageImage

spudmab
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby spudmab » Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:40 pm

Well the first of the bottom air bag mount gussets have been worked out and cut.

The cross bracing is just temporary why the uprights are welded.

There will be a back plate and also some more metal around the radius part of the plate.ImageImageImageImageImage

spudmab
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby spudmab » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:26 pm

Well 1 of the lower airbag mounts is tacked in place and all the angles have been set.
Couldn't resist trying on 1 of the wheels now they have tyres on. The last picture is at ride height. ImageImageImageImageImage

spudmab
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby spudmab » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:14 pm

Well no update last night as phone battery run out.

Anyway the second lower airbag bracket was set and tacked. The chassis notch has been worked out. The axle has been removed so the lower airbag mounts on the axle can be welded. The top airbag mounts on the cassis can be welded. Also the chassis notch can be cut and welded in. ImageImageImageImage

spudmab
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby spudmab » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:31 pm

Well this evening we managed to get the lower airbag mounts welded to the axle and add the rear gussets.

Also the chassis notch has been cut ready to have the tube cut and welded in place.

It was fun having to stand the axle in its end and swap it 180° to weld the other end.ImageImageImageImageImageImage

spudmab
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby spudmab » Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:02 pm

Well this evening was a battle against rust.

When Ford made the chassis they laid in an inner skin to aid in strengthen the rear part of the chassis.

Well we have cut through the lower part of the chassis to add a notch for axle clearance. So welding in the 1st notch was hard going due to rust between the outer and inner skin.

We got there in the end but it took some time. The 1st of the upper airbag mount has now been welded and the 2nd notch has been cut, sanded and tacked in place.ImageImageImageImage

spudmab
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby spudmab » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:52 pm

Well this evening we got the second chassis notch welded in as well as the second upper airbag mount.

We made and welded both lower airbag mounting gussets. Then the axle went back in.

The axle has been jacked up to where it will sit when the airbags are aired out. This is the lowest it will sit. The wheel and tyre diameter is about the same as the bigger 20" wheels and tyres.

The whole truck will drop down about 12". The lower part of the rear chassis rails will be roughly be where the top of the blue axle stands are.ImageImageImageImageImage

spudmab
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby spudmab » Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:59 pm

Well this evening we slipped with the grinder and we managed to chopped the rear of the chassis off.

So we thought we should add some metal back on the chassis.

If only you could see it from the side it would make sense but you will just have to wait a bit longer. Hopefully it will be driven out the workshop soon for some proper photos.ImageImageImageImageImage

spudmab
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby spudmab » Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:02 pm

Well this evening the rear shock plates where figured and cut. Then they where spaced out and welded. You can see 1 top hasn't been welded yet as it will pressure the box section when its welded to other things. This weld will be done once everything is done.ImageImageImageImage

spudmab
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby spudmab » Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:00 pm

This evening we set the rear cross member in place and welded most of it place. We put the shocks on to test the travel and all seems fine.ImageImage

spudmab
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby spudmab » Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:06 pm

Well i managed to get some tume on the truck today. Its now on the floor. The suspension is aired out so this is the lowest she will go.

Just over 6' roof height. ImageImageImageImageImage

spudmab
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby spudmab » Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:45 pm

Well my mate dropped of my compressor tray of yesterday. So this evening we drilled 2 holes through the chassis rails and welded in 2 lengths of 32mm CDS tube. This is to allow the air compressor pipes to come out of the trays and round to the air tanks.

The trays still need some work to get them fitting 100% but i think they will look well smart once there is some lights in there.ImageImageImageImageImage

spudmab
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby spudmab » Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:44 pm

Well this evening is probably the last evening until the new year so we just tidied up some small jobs. Made up some more crush tubes to weld into the chassis so we could mount the air compressor tank.

We cut the mounts of the tank and rotated the tank through 90°. This was done to allow the drain plug to point downwards. It will now allow us to run our water trap in-between the compressor and tank. ImageImageImageImageImageImage

spudmab
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby spudmab » Sun Dec 26, 2021 12:36 pm

Well the Big Man in Red, ( or my lovely wife and kids) managed to snag these New mk8 crew cab rear seats. They have never been sat on. Taken out from the truck when brought new. Hopefully they will be a nice upgrade from the standard mk6 crew cab rear seats.

Much nicer than a bunch of socks and deodorant box sets ha ha. ImageImageImage

spudmab
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

PreviousNext

Return to Members Transit's - Progress Reports!